Outdoor Happens is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Click to learn more
It probably comes as no surprise that I love
Here’s the new Fyra pizza oven (I love that name, by the way!):
And here’s the Ooni 3 pizza oven:
Ooni Fyra vs Ooni 3 Pizza Ovens
My favorite way of comparing things is with the help of tables! Things are no different in this
Ooni Fyra vs Ooni 3
There is some confusion on Facebook as to what exactly has changed in the
Now, when I originally updated this article,
Time has told and the
If you already have an
This is something a Facebook user asked, and
No rush to upgrade though, as you say, there are no issues with our
Ooni3 – it’s a beast!
So, if your
OoniFyra has a far better insulation than Ooni3. In other words, it consumes less pellets / it’s more fuel efficient.”
Read more: Ooni Pro vs Roccbox vs Ardore
My list of differences of Fyra vs
OoniFyra pizza oven has a new viewing window so you can check on pizzas without opening the door.
- The Fyra oven has a new, taller hopper. Some people mentioned “racing” through pellets, so
Oonihas addressed that issue with a taller hopper.
- The material has changed from brushed stainless steel with ceramic fiber insulation (Ooni 3 oven) to a durable, insulated, powder-coated carbon steel shell (Ooni Fyra oven).
- No gas compatibility in the Fyra oven. The Ooni gas burner turned your
Ooni3 (or Karu oven) into a gas pizza oven for $90, but the Fyra is a dedicated pellet oven.
Read more: Ooni Karu oven vs Ooni Pro oven
Some people have doubts as to whether it was a good idea to have the Fyra as a pellet-only pizza oven.
The Fyra is a dedicated pellet oven, it is designed and optimized with pellet cooking in mind!
And this sparked the old “you shouldn’t be cooking with gas anyway” discussion…
Sure, there’s something “real” about wood-fired pizza cooking, but I’m by no means a wood-only fanatic. It’s nice to have the choice to use wood or gas, so I’m sure there are people that will miss this feature.
I really like the viewing window, but am wondering whether you can still see through it after a few pizza cook-ups. My grill has a lid with see-through glass but after a few grill-ups there’s no way I can see what’s cooking.
Time will tell on this one, let me know if you’ve bought a Fyra so I can add your comments to this
The taller hopper is great. It’s double the size of
Mario commented on FB that it looks like they just put new lipstick on the same old model and that it is not really a step forward in his opinion.
We’re sorry you feel that way! We listened to our community and incorporates some major changes that we know people were looking for such as an extended pellet hopper and a viewing hole to keep an eye on your 60-second pizza.
I have a pretty simple conclusion.
The Ooni 3” href=”https://www.outdoorhappens.com/go/ooni-3/” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow noopener” data-lasso-id=”9037″>
Here are is Fyra’s launch video:
Ooni Fyra Fuel Sources
There as some benefits with pellets, though!
One 6.6lb bag will give you 2-3 hours of cooking time. One such bag is super compact, and with the Fyra’s light weight, is perfect for taking camping.
So, when you consider that, one 20lb bag of
As long as you keep your hopper topped up, your oven will stay at a consistently high temperature. Pellets are also very easy to light and they burn cleanly – less cleaning afterward!
You have a wide choice of wood pellets, each of which adds a different smoky flavor to your food.
What if I Want to Cook Pizzas on Gas?
If you want a gas-powered outdoor pizza oven, you’re out of luck with the Fyra.
- You can look at the Ooni 3 oven and Ooni Karu oven, both of which use this gas burner to convert to gas.
- You can also look at the Ooni Pro oven, which is a multi-fuel option and also has a gas burner available for gas pizza cooking. It’s $10 more than the Karu’s but still worth it if you want the versatility.
- And of course, my favorite, the Koda 16 pizza oven gives you bigger pizzas and is gas-powered by default, as is the standard-sized Ooni Koda 12 oven.
Ooni Fyra Pizza Oven Starter Kit and Carry Bag
If you want to take your pizza oven with you, you might be wondering whether there is a cover or carry bag for the
Check out the starter kit for $345.99 (at time of writing) and the waterproof carry bag for $39.99.
*Edit 20th December 2020 –
The Fyra pizza oven bundle includes (or used to include):
OoniFyra Portable Wood-Fired Outdoor Pizza oven Ooni12″ Pizza Peel Ooni12″ Bamboo Pizza Peel OoniFire Starters
- 10kg bag of
OoniPremium Wood Pellets – 100% American Oak
To finish, I just wanted to add this picture because it shows you the different pizza oven models, all nicely lined up.
Ooni Outdoor Pizza Ovens?
As you may have found out, cooking a really great pizza requires really high heat.
As we saw above, the
It’s also incredibly fast to cook a pizza. A neapolitan-style pizza is cooked in only 60 seconds! It’ll take a bit longer the more toppings you put on but still much quicker than a standard oven.
It’s really special to pop your
These ovens are so quick that everyone can cook their own pizza and they don’t even need to wait long, you can line everyone up, get your peel ready, and fire them out!
The Benefits of the
Ooni Fyra Pizza Oven Oonioffers a free 3-year warranty if you purchase your OoniFyra through their website.
- The Fyra pizza oven cooks delicious pizza in as little as 60 seconds.
- It’s fueled by hardwood pellets which help to retain a consistent temperature and high heat. They also cut down on your pizza oven maintenance.
- It heats up in only 15 minutes – reaching temperatures as high as 950F (500C).
- Pizza size: You can cook a 12-inch pizza which is big enough for the average person. If you need bigger pizzas, you’ll have to look at one of the other
Oonipizza ovens with a bigger cooking surface, like the Koda 16 oven which cooks 16-inch pizzas.
- The fuel hopper is gravity-fed and automatically feeds your own hardwood pellets for effortless hours of cooking.
- Crazy portable – take it with you for tailgating, camping, or to a friend’s house – it weighs only 22 lbs!
One last thing.
Often though, a lot of the pizza ovens are pre-order only. To avoid missing out, either pre-order your pizza oven, or subscribe to be notified when they are available. Ooni Fyra” href=”https://www.outdoorhappens.com/go/ooni-fyra/” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow noopener” data-lasso-id=”9053″>Pre-order yours today!
Whether you want to cook a couple of pizzas or lots of pizzas, the
It’s an extraordinary cooking experience, especially if you share it with friends at a pizza party! Give it a dedicated cooking space with Ooni’s tables, have everyone make their own pizza dough, and fire out a Neapolitan pizza or two!
Pizzas by the lake, anyone?
Ooni Fyra Pizza Oven FAQ
P.s. did you know
Oh, and please, once you get your Fyra oven, let me know how you go with the new hopper and the viewing window! Do you think the new Fyra oven is better than the
Read Our Latest Pizza Oven Reviews!
- Is the Ooni Karu 16 the best way to cook 16-inch pizzas? Or is the Ooni Karu 12 better?
- Ooni Karu Deep-Dive Review
- The 6 Best Gas Outdoor Pizza Ovens!
- Blazing Hot Ooni Koda 16 vs Ooni Pro Comparison
- Ultra In-Depth Ooni Koda 16 Pizza Oven Review