A hot slice of homemade artisan pizza is far superior to takeout pizza or delivery. That’s why I’m writing this Ooni Koda 16 review. Is the Ooni Koda 16 oven the best pizza oven ever? Or is there a better alternative?
I have a ton of experience cooking homemade pizza and want to share my findings so you can choose the best homemade pizza oven possible. If you’re convinced already, you can buy the Ooni Koda 16 Pizza Oven from Ooni direct or from Amazon!
Ooni Koda 16 Pizza Oven Review
There are three main variables you need to consider when you’re buying the perfect pizza oven. The size of the pizza oven, the fuel, and whether the pizza oven is for indoor or outdoor use are the main points.
- What size pizza oven is right for you? Do you want a tiny pizza oven that fits atop your kitchen counter? Or, do you want something capable of cooking an extra-large pizza, calzones, or fluffy loaves of homemade bread too?
- What fuel is right for you? Not all pizza ovens use the same types of fuel. Pizza ovens can use gas, charcoal, or wood. Each of these fuels can impact the flavor of your pizza. Convenience is also a consideration. Gas rocks if you want to control the heat. With coal or wood, you have less control. However, others may prefer a more smokey flavor that only a charcoal pizza oven can provide.
- Where do you want to use your pizza oven? Some pizza ovens can fit snugly in your kitchen or even on your countertop without a bother. Other pizza ovens are light and easy to carry around your RV or the back of your truck. You can also snag pizza ovens that are much larger and use propane, and are suitable for outdoor use only.
If you’re not sure whether the Ooni Koda 16 oven is right for you, use the pizza oven comparison feature – it makes things a lot clearer! Also read our other pizza oven reviews and comparisons, we’ve done quite a few!
The Ooni Koda 16 Oven Cooks Big Pizzas
The 16 is one of Ooni’s newer additions to the pizza oven family. It’s perfect if you’re like me and demand room for larger pizzas and the same style that you expect from the lustrous Ooni line of pizza ovens.
The first thing you’ll notice about the Koda 16 is that the design is quite sophisticated and elegant. It won’t look out of place on your patio! With a massive opening and a cool appearance, the Koda impresses most people that lay eyes on it.
More notable is how easily the Koda 16 accommodates even your largest of pizzas. You can slide your favorite homemade pizza dough topped with your most excellent tomato sauce and various homegrown veggies into the oven and end up with an extravagantly cooked pizza to perfection in only 60 seconds. Yep, it’s that quick!
What Do You Get When You Buy an Ooni 16 Oven?
When you order your Koda 16 oven and open the box, you’ll find:
- Your pizza oven
- A cordierite baking stone
- A propane gas regulator
- Gas hose
- A manual with instructions of how to use your new pizza oven
- The Koda 16 oven essentials guide complete with cooking tips plus recipes so you can make the best and most flavorful foodstuffs and epic munchies as possible.
Need Some Pizza Inspiration?
- S’mores pizza – yep, it’s a thing!
- Proscuitto, Fig, and Ricotta pizza
- Roasted butternut squash, ricotta, chilli, and sage pizza
- Blackberry, ricotta, and pistachio pizza
Focaccia pizza with cherry tomato and rosemary
You can find lots more pizza inspiration on Ooni’s pizza recipe page.
Here’s the difference between the Koda 12 oven and the Koda 16 oven:
By the way, if you like those tables, you can get those from Ooni too!
Let’s Sum Up Koda 16’s Good Points
- The Koda 16 is truly one of the best-looking pizza ovens – you’ll love how it looks in your backyard or on the patio.
- It cooks pizzas in only 60 seconds – no more waiting for savory homemade pizza.
- Plenty of cooking surface easily fits 14-inch, 15-inch, and even 16-inch pizzas.
- Also handles steaks, burgers, fish, veggies, chicken, fresh loaves of bread, calzones, and more.
- Only weighs roughly 40 pounds, so it’s easy to transport.
- The Koa 16 has foldable legs that make it even easier to take with you.
- Cordierite baking stone that won’t wither away (or crack) in high heat
- Can burn natural gas (with conversion kit) or propane
And Some Not-So-Good Points
- Not suitable for indoor use
- No charcoal or wood cooking option. If you want wood-fired, look at the Ooni Pro pizza oven. It runs on wood, charcoal, and gas so it’s a bit more versatile.
- Not as portable as the Ooni Fyra oven or the Koda 12 oven. You can, however, get a cover
- You’ll need a conversion kit if you want to run it on natural gas
- It cooks ridiculously quick (60 seconds). That’s a good thing, but it also means you need to be on the ball and keep an eye on it! It’s very, very easy to burn.
- The heat distribution inside the oven is uneven, which means you need to turn, turn, turn! If you don’t, you’ll end up with a burned edge and uncooked dough. I’ll post a picture below of the heat distribution which will show you why you need to turn 🙂
- They’re often out of stock. You can subscribe to be notified when they’re available, or jump right in when they are in stock.
- Due to radiant heat, you’ll need a minimum 1 meter (3.3ft) spacing around your pizza oven. This is not Ooni-specific, no doubt, but something to keep in mind.
Why Should You Buy the Koda 16 Oven vs Other Pizza Ovens?
I’ve examined and studied the Ooni Koda 16 to the point where I feel like I’m a legendary artisan pizza chef of ancient Rome! Let’s quickly go over some of the main features and benefits so you can decide if the Koda 16 is right for you.
Excellent Design and Appearance
If you appreciate having fancy toys on your backyard patio, then the Ooni Koda 16 oven will make you look and feel like a million bucks. Your friends will praise the pizza oven if they haven’t seen one before – and they’ll also love the pizza that this machine produces.
Warranty and Buy-It-Back Guarantee
Ooni guarantees you’ll love your pizza or they’ll buy the oven back. That’s pretty cool!
Built-In Gas Ignition
I love the gas ignition that lets you start and crank the temperature of the Koda 16 to a blazing hot 932 degrees Fahrenheit in just 20 minutes. After that, your pizzas cook in 60 seconds.
Whether you’re cooking a delicious pepper and feta cheese pizza for yourself, or if you want to invite your friends over for a slice, the Koda 16 won’t keep you waiting for long.
More Than Just Pizzas
The Ooni Koda 16 oven also cooks more than just pizza – you can make short work of your favorite fish, steaks, burgers, or roasted veggies. You can also use the Koda 16 for baking a fresh batch of zesty garlic bread or a savory calzone.
- Ooni Koda 16 pizza oven now runs on natural gas
- Ooni Karu oven vs Ooni Pro oven
- Ooni Fyra pizza oven vs Ooni Karu oven
- Ooni pizza oven starter bundles – does it save you money?
L-Shaped Flame and Varying Stone Temperatures
One of the worst sins when cooking a pizza is if your pizza gets only partially cooked! That’s why I admire the L-shaped flame and varying stone temperatures of the Koda 16.
The way it works is simple. The closer the stone is to the L-shape, the hotter the temperature. This system makes it so you can move foods closer to the L-shape if you want them to cook faster. Or, you can pull them further away and maneuver from the flame if you need less heat.
Because you have control over your flame, you can easily adjust the temperature depending on what you’re cooking. Need more or less temperature? No problem.
Just preheat the Koda 16 while your dinner guests are on the way, and when they arrive, they’ll have hot, fresh, delicious homemade pizza that will probably impress them far more than pizza delivery or pickup.
Wide Oven Opening and Large Baking Floor
One of my favorite features of the Koda 16 is the massive opening that lets you slip in a 16-inch pizza without cramming or jamming the edge of your pie. Consider that Pizza Hut’s extra-large pizza is roughly 14-inches. So, a 16-inch pizza is pretty big – even if you eat more pizza than I do!
The wide opening also makes it smooth for you to accommodate fish, loaves of bread, steaks, veggies, or anything else that you can imagine.
Temperature Resistant Cordierite Baking Stone
One thing that can ruin your culinary exploration rather quickly is if your baking stone cracks. That’s why I salute Ooni for their Koda 16 cordierite baking stone. Cordierite is temperature resistant, and I bet you that it won’t crack like other pizza stones you’ve tried before.
Ooni also offers a generous 3-year warranty when you register your Koda 16 oven on their website, which I still recommend to be safe!
No Assembly Required
Once you get your Koda 16, the only thing you need to do is attach propane. After that, you can flip the built-in ignition and begin cooking your first pizza without any fuss, fanfare, ballyhoo, installation, or confusing instructions.
Delicious pizza awaits!
Lots of Accessories
Whether you want to flame-cook porterhouse steaks or serve your chicken and broccoli pizza in style, the following accessories can help take your Ooni pizza oven to another level.
I love the dual-sided grizzler plate that’s ideal if you want to fry eggs, sear ribs, or sizzle your favorite vegetable stir fry. Try serving your family a mound of sizzling hot chicken fajitas right from the grizzler and watch their eyes light in enthusiasm and excitement.
If you want to get in the pizza cooking mood, then I also recommend snagging an Ooni oven pizza peel.
The pizza peel helps you insert and remove your pizza from your Ooni without relying on flimsy spatulas or backyard concoctions you might reach for when in a pinch. Don’t risk dropping your delicious pizza on the ground or warping your pizza by using an improper tool. Use this professional (and elegant) device to help feel like a pizza cooking pro.
What Do Ooni’s Customers Think?
I scoured every corner of the internet and raided every top e-retailer to figure out what other customers thought about the Ooni Koda 16 pizza oven.
Overall, the reviews for the Ooni Koda 16 are stellar. People love the delicious pizza that this oven produces quickly. But don’t take my pizza-loving word as gospel. Below, you’ll find some of my favorite reviews taken from around the web.
Alternatives for the Ooni Koda 16 Oven
If you don’t have the resources for the Ooni Koda 16, don’t fret. I’ve hunted the internet and local pizza parlors high and low to find out the three best pizza oven alternatives, even if you’re rocking a bottom dollar budget. Let’s take a look!
Camp Chef Italia Artisan – the Best Affordable Pizza Oven Alternative
- Double layered ceiling enhances heating dynamics, bakes like...
- Built-in valve ignition/micro-adjust valve give you total...
- Stainless steel construction is easy to clean
- Stove Dimensions: 13.25" x 20" - Oven Opening Dimensions:...
- Total Output: 17,000 BTU/hr - Weight: 47 lbs.
The Italia Artisan is easily one of the more affordable outdoor pizza oven cookers that I would recommend if you don’t have the budget to spring for the Koda 16.
Not only is this pizza oven capable of cooking your pizza quickly with 17,000 BTUs and 700 degrees Fahrenheit max temperature, but the pizza oven looks great and has an old-fashioned Neapolitan style that you might fancy.
KettlePizza Basic – an Innovative Wood-Fired Pizza Oven Alternative
- Transforms 22.5" kettle grills like Weber One Touch Gold or...
- Heat remains stable because lid does not need to be removed...
- Made of 20 gauge, 304 grade stainless steel. Made in USA.
- Use with a skillet to cook meats, fish or vegetables.
- Works with charcoal or hardwood.
Do you want to cook your pizza with a wood-fired savory smokey flavor?
Then look no further than this nifty pizza cooker kit from Kettle Pizza. This kit instantly transforms your 18.5-inch or 22.5-inch kettle grill into an incredible outdoor pizza cooker.
The Kettle Pizza cooker reaches temperatures as high as 900 degrees Fahrenheit and also lets you cook burgers, steaks, chicken, fish, and more. I love this pizza cooker, and the price is right!
Presto 03430 – the Best Budget Indoor Pizza Oven Alternative
- Rotating tray turns continuously to assure even baking.
- Top and bottom heating elements bake foods from both sides....
- Timer signals end of cooking time and automatically turns...
- Saves as much as 60% in energy compared to a conventional...
- Removable nonstick baking pan is easy to clean and store.
If you’re looking for the best budget opportunity to make homemade pizza (and other delicious goodies) indoors, then look no further than the Presto 03430. This is the pizza cooker I recommend if you want an affordable pizza cooking option that fits tidily atop your counter without ado.
I admire the rotating design of the Presto that helps to cook your pizza evenly. The Presto also has independent heating elements on the top and bottom, so you can make a surprisingly delightful pizza indoors without breaking the bank.
What Do We Say – Buy or NOT Buy?
Buy, buy, buy! You won’t regret it. And if you do, you can get Ooni to buy it back!
Few things in the world get your mouth watering as much as the scent of freshly cooked pizza right from your backyard oven. That’s why I’m a huge fan of the Ooni Koda 16 pizza oven. I recommend the Ooni Koda 16 to anyone who wants to enjoy tasty homecooked pizza from the comfort of their backyard.
The Ooni Koda 16 cooks pizza quickly, it’s small enough to fit on nearly any patio or backyard deck, the price isn’t too much to ask, and I also adore the design and appearance of the pizza oven. The best part is that the Koda 16 cooks pizzas deliciously and absurdly swiftly. Whether you want to cook a pizza for yourself – or your entire neighborhood, 60 seconds isn’t too much to ask!
If you don’t have the budget for the Ooni Koda 16, or if you want to use a pizza oven indoors, then consider the Camp Chef Italia or the Presto 03430 respectively for worthy – and affordable alternatives. If you can’t live without coal or a wood-fired pizza oven, then check out the KettlePizza pizza oven kit.
What about you? Do you like the Koda 16 as much as I? Or, do you prefer one of the pizza cooker alternatives? Please let me know in the comments below!
Finally, here are your top 5 bestselling pizza ovens on Amazon:
- [Wood Fired Pizza Oven] The outdoor pizza oven is a...
- [Exquisite Steel] High grade steel material will ensure more...
- [Stone Baked Pizza] With a 12 x 12 inch ceramic pizza stone...
- [Easy to Handle Design] Easy to move around with 2 big...
- [Easy to Assemble and Warranty] Include a pizza peel to put...
- PIZZA ANYWHERE - Bring authentic wood-fired taste to the...
- MULTI-PURPOSE OVEN - This outdoor oven does more than just...
- HEATING SOURCE ADDS FLAVOR - This 2-in-1 oven is heated with...
- MOBILE SETUP - Assembly is simple and can be stored when not...
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX - Accessories include Safe Handle Oven...
- Bake pizzas in under 2 minutes. (Performance may vary...
- 25, 000 BTU burner system reaches over 800˚ F (426˚ C)....
- Includes pizza oven box and firebox with regulator and...
- Oven is removable for easy cleaning and transport.
- Optional accessories available to expand functionality (not...
- Authentic Gas, Charcoal, and Wood Fired Portable Outdoor...
- Cook at over 930 degrees Fahrenheit (500 Celsius) with the...
- Use Charcoal, Wood, Pellets or our Gas Burner...
- 12.5" wide x 13.5" deep cooking surface for authentic wood...
- Cordierite stone, wood chip/pellet scoop, and...
- >Wood Fire Outdoor Pizza Oven for 13 Inches Pizza –...
- >Multipurpose Cooker – Along with this double-layered wood...
- >Rapid, Even Heating – Being capable of heating up to 700F...
- >Food-Grade Safe Stainless Steel – Lightweight, durable,...
- >Fueled by Wood Pellets – This wood pellet pizza oven can...
Last update on 2020-12-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API