So many different lawn mowers out there, and so little money to spend? Believe me, I have been there. Which is why we’re looking at the best lawn mower under 300 in this review. Yep, you can get decent lawn mowers under 300!
When choosing a lawn mower, it is never about what it looks like. One lawn mower may win a popularity contest, but it’s totally not cool if it doesn’t maintain your yard. Especially if you are on a tight budget, which I’m pretty much always on, finding the right lawn care tools becomes critical.
A lawn mower is the first thing you need to maintain your yard. Without one, you can’t do much yard work. Thankfully, we have found plenty of the contenders for best lawn mower under 300 bucks, as we will review here.
We’ll start with the best gas lawn mower under 300, then review the best electric lawn mower under 300 so you can choose the lawn mower best suited to your needs. Don’t miss our best self propelled lawn mower under 350 either!
Outdoor Happens is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Click to learn more
Best Gas Lawn Mower Under 300
Yet another best lawn mower under 300 with a 3-in-1 discharge design!
Lawn Boy’s version has a Kohler 149cc engine that provides 6.5 feet to pounds gross torque. Its rear-wheel drive system enables better traction on uneven, hilly terrain.
With the convenient 2-Point Height-of-Cut System system you have 6 adjustable positions to consider, ranging from 1.25 inches to 3.75 inches.
Now here’s the cool part. (Cue drum roll sound…) It has a 3-Year Tru-Start Commitment and a 2-Year Warranty. If it doesn’t start within 1 or 2 pulls, Lawn Boy will fix this best lawn mower under 300 for free!
- Rear Wheel Drive System provides a better traction and control on hilly terrain
- 2-Point Height-of-Cut System allows you to quickly adjust cutting heights from one side of...
- 3 year Tru-Start Commitment - starts with 1 or 2 pulls or Lawn-Boy will fix it for free
- Kohler 149cc/ 6.5 ft.-lbs. Gross Torque/ OHV Engine
- CARB Compliant for the state of California
2. PowerSmart PS7218PR Gas Lawn Mower Under 300
The advantage of PowerSmart’s push mower is its brutish power. A 4-stroke, single-cylinder 170cc gas engine gives you the juice you need to clear intimidating tall grass. It has a built-in air-cooling system that ensures continuous power and performance of the engine.
Also factor in the 21-inch deck width and the adjustable cutting depth of 5 positions, and you have a contender for your dream lawn mower – definitely a contender in the best lawn mower under 300 race!
No products found.
Straight out of Tupelo, Mississippi is this flexible push mower. The 3-in-1 deck is the main highlight, featuring side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching components. This lawn mower is a top contender for best lawn mower under 300.
The deck width is 21 inches, which allows the mower to gobble up plenty of grass. It has a minimum cutting height of 1.25 inches and a maximum of 3.75 inches.
The 140cc engine has a recoil and an auto choke equipped. This means you don’t have to waste time with any annoying primers. Just pull the cord and enjoy!
- 140CC OHV GAS POWERED ENGINE: Engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more...
- 3-IN-1 CAPABILITIES: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities.
- 21-INCH CUTTING DECK: Efficient cutting deck helps trim grass in one quick pass for an...
- DUAL-LEVER ADJUSTABLE CUTTING HEIGHT: Choose from 6 different height settings to suit...
- DURABLE WHEELS: Zag Treaded tires measure 7 inches in the front and 8 inches in the back.
Another best lawn mower under 300 that has a 3-in-1 discharge design, Remington’s version has the same deck width of 21 inches.
What is very helpful is the dual-lever height adjustment feature. You can choose between 6 different positions for cutting grass.
The only concern about this mower is its weight of 63 pounds. It’s far from the lightest option. On the reassuring side, its special SureCut blade lifts and circulates while it cuts, allowing you to mulch without clogging up your mower.
- Powerful 140cc OHV engine with auto choke packs enough power to cut through the roughest...
- Rust-resistant 21-inch steel deck gets the job done quickly and efficiently
- SureCut blade lifts and circulates as it cuts so you can mulch without clumps
- Dual-lever height adjuster with 6 height settings and adjustable grip so your lawn is the...
- Durable 7-inch front and 8-inch rear wheels have sturdy treads for operating on uneven...
If you have a small yard of under one acre, take a long look at this best gas mower under 300.
It has a side discharge deck with a cutting width of 20 inches, and it gives you cutting height options. Three adjustable cutting heights for light trims to full cuts really help.
The 7-inch front and rear wheels give you steady command and control over this push mower. The added perk of a 1-year limited warranty makes this mower worth the investment and certainly a contender in our best lawn mower under 300 review.
- 132CC GAS ENGINE: Reliable gas engine perfect for mowing small-medium sized yards. Battle...
- 3 CUTTING HEIGHT POSITIONS: Cut the grass down to your ideal size! Whether your lawn needs...
- 20-INCH CUTTING DECK: Side discharge deck with 20” cutting width. Trim more in less time...
- 7 X 7 INCH WHEELS: Lightweight design with 7-inch rear and front wheels for easy...
- WARRANTY: 1-year limited.
Though it doesn’t come out and say it in its title, this best lawn mower under 300 (although it was slightly over 300 at last review – sorry about that!) has 3-in-1 discharge capabilities too.
This mower features an easy starting 159cc engine and an automatic choke release that prevents engine flooding.
The 11-inch high rear wheels improve the experience of cutting through uneven terrain and various obstacles. This mower’s side discharge chute has a built-in clip that can be attached to the handle when not being used.
However, if you are a fan of self-propelled mowers you won’t get any self-propelling action with this guy.
- 21-inch diameter steel cutting deck with TriAction Cutting System and side discharge,...
- 11-inch rear wheels provide improved mobility on hills, inclines and in rougher terrain
- 1.9-bushel rear bag collects grass clippings for easy clean up or composting
- Side discharge chute comes with built-in clip to attach to handle when not in use
- Mulch kit included to help put nutrients back into soil for a healthier lawn
Need a mower that covers a wide range of the yard? How does this best lawn mower under 300 with 20-inch wide deck sound?
Poulan Pro’s push mower chews up grass and spits it out. It also offers height adjusters with 5 positions for all four wheels. Its cutting height range of 0.1 to 3.5 inches is amazing.
The only bummer about this mower is that it is the most ordinary mower on the list, only having a side discharge. On the bright side, though, its 125cc primer engine is deceptively powerful. It provides 4.5 pounds of torque that enables a fast and reliable mowing experience.
- 450E 125cc Briggs & Stratton primer engine
- 20-Inch deck push mower
- Side discharge only. Speed forward maximum: 3 mph, air filter type: foam
- 4-Quick height adjusters with 5 positions
- 7-Inch Front and Rear Wheels
Best Electric Lawn Mower Under 300
The first thing to notice about the Greenworks Brushed Mower is that it can be conveniently stored away. Its folding handle gives you tremendous storage space in the garage.
This best lawn mower under 300 also has a 40-Volt 4AH lithium-ion battery that has up to 60 minutes of running time, you simply push a button to start the mower.
It has a nice 2-in-1 rear bagging and mulching discharge feature. The single lever 5-position height adjustment complements the 17-inch deck size, having a cutting height range from 1.25 to 3.75 inches.
- The universal 40V battery system powers more than 25 products and provides gas-like...
- Includes (1) Max Capacity 4 AH - 40V Lithium Battery
- 17 inch deck is versatile and light weight
- 2-in-1 feature offers rear bagging and mulching capability for multiple use
- Single lever 5-position height adjustment offers cutting height range from 1-1/4 inch to...
If you do have problems with corded lawn core tools, then consider buying this best lawn mower under 300.
The SunJoe iON16LM features a powerful brushless motor powered by their rechargeable 40V iONMAX battery system. You can cut at 6 different height positions, with a minimum height of 1.18″ and a maximum height of 3.15″.
One charge gives you 40 minutes of super quiet grass-cutting time and it’s easy to start with just a push of a button.
This is a great best lawn mower under 300 for small to medium-sized lawns.
- No pull cords, gas, oil, tune-ups, carbon emissions or tangled extension cords
- Powerful brushless motor increases battery efficiency, maximizes motor performance,...
- Compact design ideal for small to mid-sized lawns. Cutting options - Bag and discharge...
- 6-position height adjustment lever tailors grass cutting height from 1.18 to 3.15 Inch
- ETL approved; Energy Star certified.Deck Material:ABS Plastic
Its manageable weight of 29 pounds makes for a comfortable mowing experience, and its 2-in-1 capabilities give you options. You can either store grass in the back bag attachment, or you can mulch it.
This best lawn mower under 300 also has a single lever that features 6 different height adjustment levels, ranging from 2.5 to 3.5 inches.
The Intellicut feature is the coolest part of this mower – with the turn of a knob you can give your mower more torque to power through the grass.
- [6 HEIGHT ADJUSTMENTS] A single lever lets you set the height you want to cut your lawn,...
- [INTELLICUT] feature provides torque on demand for tougher conditions
- [SAME BATTERY, EXPANDABLE POWER] Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v...
- [MULCH OR BAG] This 2-in-1 mower lets you bag it up, or mulch your grass back into the...
- [BATTERY METER] The on-board battery charge indicator lets you know exactly how much juice...
- [FULL-BAG INDICATOR] The plastic-topped collection bag has a capacity of .85 bushels, and...
Amazingly cheap in price and incredibly lightweight at 13.1 pounds is this quirky mower made by Black+Decker.
I say quirky because this corded electric mower is a 3-in-1 hybrid device. You can use it to mow, trim, or edge.
This mower has a 6.5-Amp motor which provides optimal performance. The Gear Drive transmission prevents the mower from bogging down, which is a relief. Its Automatic Feed Spool system ensures continual work without any interruptions.
However, its maximum cutting height is only 2.4 inches and the battery’s Charge Time at 100% is 4 hours.
Keep in mind that this best lawn mower under 300 is NOT suitable for large yards! It’s perfect for small areas but it’s really not the best for big areas.
- 3N1 DESIGN – Electric mower easily converts to string trimmer and edger via a built-in...
- 6.5 AMP MOTOR – Supplies the ideal amount of power when trimming grass, weeds, and...
- GEAR DRIVE TRANSMISSION – For tackling tougher, thicker grass without getting bogged...
- AFS AUTOMATIC FEED SPOOL – Continuously feeds trimmer line without bumping for seamless,...
- ADJUSTABLE MOWER DECK AND TRIMMER HANDLE – Lawn mower deck and string trimmer handle are...
- CORDED – Corded design offers unlimited runtime for even the biggest jobs.
If you have a yard that is anywhere from half an acre to one whole acre, then check out this cordless best lawn mower under 300.
It performs smoothly on flat and sloped terrain, and it can be easily folded up for storage space. It also has 5 adjustable cutting height positions, though its maximum height is only 2.75 inches.
One part Ryobi could improve on with this mower is the 18-Volt lithium-ion battery. The 40 minutes of run time when fully charged is simply not enough time to satisfy a complete mowing session, coming from my own experiences.
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
If you don’t mind corded lawn care tools, which is the case with me, then Earthwise has a compelling case for the best electric lawn mower under 300.
It has the best combination of features that you would see from both gas and electric best lawn mowers under 300.
This mower has a large 20-inch cutting width with a single lever height adjustment that is seamless. Height positions range from 1.75 to 4 inches.
Its 12-Amp electric motor is highly efficient in performance. Plus, the 9.5-inch rear and 7-inch front wheels make for smooth maneuvering.
- Powerful 12-Amp motor provides the power to cut all types of grasses; High efficiency...
- Large 20" cutting width with single lever easy-change cutting height adjustment from...
- 3-in-1, easy on/off side discharge, rear bag, and mulching system; Adjustable comfort 'V'...
- Compact and slim frame with folding handles for easy storage; Cord retention hook keeps...
- Lightweight and easy to operate
- 3-in-1 easy on/off side discharge / mulch / rear bag
Having a modest cutting width of 16 inches, Oregon’s answer to the cordless mower is a powerful one. It weighs only 35.9 pounds and it starts instantly.
No matter what battery size you use, you will cut many square feet with this mower. With a 6.0 Ah battery, you can cut as much as 7,000 square feet with a full battery charge.
The charge time for the 6.0 Ah battery at 100% is 90 minutes, which isn’t bad. You will love the 13.2-gallon debris bag for the back of the mower. Say goodbye to those grass clippings!
- Brushless motor delivers high power and torque
- 16" cutting width, steel deck
- Only 35.9 lbs with battery
- 6 cutting positions
Best Lawn Mower Under 300 Buyer’s Guide
You will have some burning questions about which mower is the best lawn mower under 300 for you, and this guide will provide the best answers you can find.
In the meantime, here is a rundown of the different types of lawn mowers you can buy.
Push Lawn Mowers
Coming with side or back-bagging units to catch clippings, most push rotary power mowers are easy to start.
Any mower that doesn’t include a blade brake system, also known as a dead man switch, is a red flag. This system makes the spinning blade stop within seconds after you release the lever on the handle.
While this system may make these mowers more complicated and expensive, it also makes these mowers safer to handle.
Self-Propelled Lawn Mowers
Clippings circulate in the blade housing of these mowers and will continuously get cut until they become very small.
Let’s be honest. Grass clippings lying on your lawn are an ugly sight. Self-propelled mowers, also known as mulching mowers, are specifically designed to pick up these clippings.
Gas Lawn Mowers
Gas lawn mowers usually have more power and can last the full duration of mowing sessions. I never thought you’d be able to buy a gas mower so cheap, but we found quite a few in this best lawn mower under 300 review.
Gas lawn mowers are the most convenient option, but they can get noisy and are not the most environmentally friendly.
Maintenance on these mowers is also more complicated compared to other mowers. Then there is the dreaded pull cord that you need to use to start.
Gas mowers are the only type to look at for large yards, however. It’s not practical to mow a big yard with anything else.
Electric Lawn Mowers
It is very simple to operate an electric mower, which is why we did a specific section about them in this best lawn mower under 300 review. You turn on a switch, and the blade will spin. That’s it.
These mowers are good on the ears as well. They only give off a low humming sound from the spinning blade.
A battery-powered lawn mower operates on battery power and doesn’t rely on gas or other fuel sources.
Cordless lawn mowers utilize stored battery power and energy to operate. Batteries can be charged for a certain amount of time, and then the mower runs with the stored energy from that charge.
How Do I Choose a the Best Lawn Mower Under 300?
Undecided on which type of lawn mower is the best lawn mower under 300 fit for you?
For starters, one general rule here to follow is to buy a mower that fits your needs, what your lawn needs, and how you plan on preserving your lawn.
The size of your lawn plays a big role in what mower you should buy.
- Yards that are less than an acre only need a push mower for upkeep.
- Yards larger than an acre need more work, which means riding lawn mowers are ideal (See the best zero turn lawn mowers under 3000 here!).
- Is your yard flat? Push mowers perform well on flat surfaces.
- Does your yard have slopes or hills? Self-propelled mowers tackle these yards the best.
How Much Should I Spend on a Lawn Mower?
In the case of a self-propelled mower, you should spend no more than $200 to $300 off-season (which works perfectly with our best lawn mower under 300 review!), and perhaps just $50 more peak season.
If you are on a tight budget throughout the year, always try to keep a maximum of $300 stored away for yard tools and machines. We all know that most lawn mowers don’t sell cheap, so it’s best to keep that piggy bank full.
We have many reviews for the budget-conscious among us, check them out!
What to Look for When You’re Buying a Gas Lawn Mower?
Multiple factors are in play when choosing a gas lawn mower.
One factor that shouldn’t be overlooked is the width of the mower’s blades. A bigger deck size means bigger blades. Most homeowners prefer a width of between 30 and 60 inches, though some decks have a wider range of 20 to 70 inches.
The wider your deck size is, the larger paths on each pass you can cut on your lawn.
What to Look for When You’re Buying an Electric Lawn Mower?
Electric lawn mowers are more comfortable to listen to and are cleaner compared to gas mowers. Electric mowers are also easier to start, which means you can bypass that dreaded pull cord.
One downside to electric mowers is that they are not as powerful as gas mowers. Another downside is that they can’t sustain a long mowing session due to the electric charges they need.
Do You Want a Corded or Cordless Electric Mower?
It comes down to your preference as a homeowner, but it’s good to know the difference between corded and cordless mowers.
- You don’t need to worry about charging the battery on a corded electric mower. These mowers deliver great runtime in a single charge.
- The runtime of a cordless electric mower is typically one hour or longer. The main considerations to take into consideration here include the life of the battery, the charging time, and the potential replacement cost.
Electric vs Gas Lawn Mowers: What’s the Difference and Why Should I Buy a Gas vs Electric Mower?
Finding it hard to decide between electric and gas lawn mowers? Consider the size of your yard.
If it is larger than one acre, you should buy a gas mower because it will allow you to finish mowing in a single session. Gas mowers require more maintenance because you will have to change air filters and spark plugs on an annual basis to keep the mower healthy.
Most battery-powered electric mowers are fairly light and easier to handle when making tight turns in the yard.
Electric mowers are better for your ears, and for the ears of your neighbors. Electric mowers produce between 65 to 75 decibels or racket, and gas mowers produce 95 decibels.
Basic Gas Lawn Mower Maintenance
A word of caution for those who will buy a self-propelled mower; watch them like a hawk during your first winter together.
If you don’t drain the gas out of it, the needle in the bottom of the mower’s float bowl will get clogged. This will lead to the mower running poorly and sometimes it won’t even start.
It will cost around $90 to have your local shop remove the needle and clean it out with a sewing needle and a carburetor cleaner spray can.
Routine Gas Checks
Here is one basic rule of thumb to follow if you own a gas mower. Routinely check your gas, especially during the winter season. (I know. That’s not real shocking.)
If your mower is filled with old gasoline, chances are likely that it won’t start. If you can manage it, try to drain the remaining gas out of the mower after you complete a mowing session. Be patient when draining the gas. I don’t always use all of the gas I fill my mower with.
Judging from my experiences, if you have under one-quarter of a tank of gas leftover between mowing sessions, you will be okay. Simply refill your gas tank for the next session.
Remember the Air Filter
Don’t overlook the air filter! If it gets clogged or dirty, it adds unnecessary stress to the mower.
Most mowers have either a paper or foam filter that can be easily accessed. Throughout the mowing session, constantly check your air filter. If you need to replace it, there are many inexpensive air filters to choose from.
Keep the Blade Sharp
Last but certainly not least is the rotor blade that cuts the grass. These things go through the gauntlet in mowing sessions, getting hit by rocks, large branches, and random hidden objects. Dull blades make for dully cut lawns.
If you are a long-time pro at mowing, you can sharpen the blade with a vice or a metal file. If you are inexperienced, have a mower repair shop sharpen the blade for you for a small fee.
Electric Lawn Mower Maintenance Tips
There are plenty of components in an electric lawn mower that makes it more delicate (but not more complicated) to perform maintenance on than a gas mower.
Yes, electric mowers are delicate and sensitive! Be nice to them!
Start with the mower’s undercarriage, where the rotor blade is located. Remove the battery and safety key before you work on the undercarriage.
Remove all the debris from both the undercarriage and the blade. If you love toughing it out on wet grass, this becomes an essential thing.
Plus, if you have trouble cleaning the undercarriage, consider buying undercarriage spray to help maintain a clean surface.
Performing visual inspections of your battery and charger before using your electric mower is critical.
Also, check the compartment in which the battery will be resting. The compartment must be dry and completely clear of any debris.
If your electric mower is corded, check the entire cord for any exposed wires or other damages. Any knots and kinks in the cord must be loosened.
I personally recommend doing this if you have any lawn mower, car, or small boat for that matter. Covering your machines really matters!
One surefire way of keeping your electric mower clean is to put some form of covering over it. This can either be a tarp or this wonderful lawn mower cover made by Family Accessories. This cover is made out of marine-grade 600D double-stitched fabric and is 100% waterproof. The elasticity of this cover ensures a tight fit too so that heavy winds won’t simply blow it away!
What’s Your Best Lawn Mower Under 300
There are many things to consider before buying your best lawn mower under 300, but it all comes down to what you prefer and what your yard really needs.
Make sure you pick the lawn mower that is built to handle the tasks that you specifically have to deal with in your yard. Whether you love gas or electric mowers, you must be comfortable with your choice.
In one sense, the lawn mower you choose will become a new friend of yours for years to come. Don’t develop what they call “Buyer’s Remorse” and get to know your lawn mower. Be a good friend to your lawn mower while you save money for your wallet!
With the right lawn mower, your mind will be set at ease as you effortlessly cut the grass!
Last update on 2021-10-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API