Duck pen ideas! Many people put off keeping ducks after seeing duck pens that are muddy and filthy! But although ducks love to play in the water, the correct duck accommodation doesn’t have to be somewhere you’d only venture into with waterproof boots.
Let’s look at some clever and innovative duck pen ideas, as well as some top tips on how to build the ultimate duck pen!
- Our Favorite DIY Duck Pen Ideas!
- Helpful Tips on How to Build the Best Duck Pen
- Can You Keep Ducks in a Pen?
- How Big Does a Duck Pen Need to Be for Two Ducks?
- What Do You Put in the Bottom of a Duck Pen?
- What is the Best Flooring for Ducks?
- What Do Ducks Like in Their Pen?
- Should Ducks Have Water in Their Coop?
- Do Ducks Drink a Lot of Water?
- Do Ducks Need Fresh Water Every Day?
- Should Ducks Have Water at Night?
- How Do You Keep Ducks from Making a Mess with Water?
- Do Ducks Need a Pond?
- How Much Water Do Backyard Ducks Need?
- What Do You Use for a Duck Pool?
Our Favorite DIY Duck Pen Ideas!
We’ve searched all our favorite duck farms to find the best duck pen ideas.
After searching every feathery fold – we discovered the following.
- Super Simple Duck Coop House (by House Billings)
- Scrap Wood Duck House (by Cape Coop Farm)
- Detailed Duck Coop and Pen (by Joy R)
- Turning an Old Bed into a Duck Pen and Coop (by Mother the Mountain Farm)
- Deluxe Duck Palace (by The Good Life Here)
Let’s also examine these DIY duck pen plans and ideas in detail.
1. Super Simple Duck Coop by House Billings
If you’ve got your outdoor run all figured out for your ducks but are a bit stuck on the overnight accommodation, this is a low-budget and simple coop that would work in several situations. Even the most novice DIY enthusiast would be able to manage this creation, which is snug and perfect for a few backyard ducks.
Make sure you watch this video to the end, as the bottom-waggling ducks are super cute when they move into their new coop!
Read More – The Complete Guide to Raising Backyard Ducks!
2. Scrap Wood Duck House by The Cape Coop Farm
Not only is this a very low-cost duck house, but the makers have many good ideas for making an excellent duck pen. I love how they use adhesive vinyl tiles for a waterproof and easy-clean floor. This blog highlights the different needs of ducks compared to chickens, which is helpful for a new duck keeper.
PS: Don’t forget to read the article on Cape Coop Farm showing how they built their duck pen from scrap lumber! Check out the DIY duck pen guide here.
3. Duck Coop and Pen by Joy R
Want fine detail about building a duck pen? Then you will find everything you need to know about creating a home for ducks here! Every step of the design gets carefully considered. Right down to the size of the entrance. And the best duck nesting box doors!
Read More – Do Ducklings Need a Heat Lamp at Night?
4. Turning an Old Bed into a Duck Pen and Coop by Mother the Mountain Farm
Many homesteaders are trying to save money on farm equipment, so this duck pen idea is one of our favorites! I love the idea of reusing old furniture and repurposing it as a duck (and chicken) pen.
I know this sounds hard to believe – but they’ve somehow managed to design an excellent and fully-functional duck pen by using an old bed! Extra points for sustainability.
5. Deluxe Duck Palace by The Good Life Here
This wonderful duck palace might not be within everyone’s budget, but I think we can all take some great ideas from this project! The deluxe duck palace features everything required to keep your ducks happy and healthy, from an auto-fill watering system to a rodent-proof feeding station.
Helpful Tips on How to Build the Best Duck Pen
Ready to make a start on your first duck pen project? Here are our tip tips and suggestions on how to build the perfect duck pen!
As you can see, ducks do not have complex housing requirements. But it is vital to keep them safe and secure. You will need housing where they can safely nest at night and an outdoor area with a pool where they can paddle and play in the daytime. You must also provide fresh drinking water and clean feeding areas for your feather colleagues.
Are you feeling inspired to start creating your first duck pen? I hope you like some of the fun and creative solutions listed here! If you’ve questions about how to keep ducks or want to share your duck pen ideas, we’d love to hear from you!
Thanks so much for reading.
Have a ducky day!