The roots of the boonie hat have a unique place in history. Soldiers wore this hat in the Vietnam War to give themselves relief from extreme tropical weather conditions.
The core inspiration of the boonie hat traces back further to 1885 when Australian skirmishers wore, what was called at the time, bush hats, giggle hats, or slouch hats.
What is a boonie hat, you ask?
A boonie hat is a floppy, wide-brimmed hat that shields your face from the hot sun, pounding rain, and whistling wind while you work outdoors.
It is also a good fishing hat, of course!
So what makes the best boonie hat? You will find out in this following list of wonderful hats!
Best Boonie Hat Top 14
“1st Lt. Kester fits the Multicam boonie hat” by IowaRedBulls is licensed under CC BY 2.0– Find the Multicam boonie hat on Amazon!
- Best Boonie Hat Overall: Dorfman Pacific Outback Boonie Hat With Chin Cord
- Best Waterproof Boonie Hat: LETHMIK Outdoor Waterproof Boonie Hat
- Best Boonie Hat for Hunting and Fishing: Tru-Spec Multicam Boonie Hat
- Best Boonie Hat for Hot Weather and Summer: Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero
- Best Value Boonie Hat: Einskey Sun Protection Boonie Hat
1. Dorfman Pacific Men’s Outback Boonie Hat With Chin Cord
- OUT IS IN – It’s not called the Outback hat for nothing. Built for function, this...
- PROPER PROTECTION – This old western hat isn’t just for show. With a UPF 50+ rating,...
- THAT’S NOT A HAT – THIS is a hat. With an interior brow band and lining that absorbs...
- YOUR KIND OF SHADE – This broad 2.7” rim is shapeable to provide you with the exact...
- GOES WHERE YOU GO – This hat can protect against more than just the sun. Wind, rain, and...
This best boonie hat is called an outback hat because it is meant to be worn in weather conditions that remind you of the Australian Outback.
This boonie hat is built to be functional as it is made with a blend of 52% cotton and 48% polyester. This hat promotes breathing in the scorching heat, and strength so that it doesn’t wear and tear so easily.
The band and lining of this outback boonie hat provide a smooth surface to prevent skin irritation.
Having a UPF rating of 50+, this hat not only protects against ultraviolet rays but also rain and wind.
Sizes Available: 6 3/4 to One-Size Fits Most
2. Tru-Spec Multicam Boonie Hat
- Adjustable Tactical Hat: This bucket hat with strings meets US military specs and is made...
- Efficient Design: These sun hats for men feature brass screen vents to keep you dry no...
- High-Performance Bucket Hats for Men: Our outdoor camo hat is perfect for camping,...
- Camo Boonie Hat: These tactical hats for men are available in 7 different camouflage...
- Trusted Apparel and Equipment: One of the leading suppliers of uniforms and personal...
If cotton is your favorite material, then this best boonie hat is for you!
Made out of 100% cotton, the Tru-Spec boonie hat can be hand washed and can be used for many different activities including hiking, hunting, fishing, camping, or military exercises.
It has brass screen vents that will help you stay dry regardless of what weather conditions you are in.
These hats are made for military personnel as they are made from 50/50 nylon-cotton ripstop material to maintain durability. Branch loops are present on this hat so you can better camouflage yourself or store all sorts of small items.
I personally love the All Terrain Tiger Stripe color scheme!
Sizes Available: 7 to 7 3/4
3. LETHMIK Outdoor Waterproof Boonie Hat
- LETHMIK is tending to the men and women who seeks Sleek style and High quality products at...
- LETHMIK Outdoor Waterproof Boonie Hat Wide Brim Breathable Hunting Fishing Safari Sun Hat;...
- FOLDABLE & CRUSHABLE - High quality materials and craftsmanship, Fold-up brim material can...
- PRACTICAL & BEAUTIFUL - This sun hat is equipped with an adjustable Wind Strap, this...
- LETHMIK is not the cheapest, but it is the best. You can feel free to contact us, if you...
Made out of 100% polyester, this Boonie Hat is very affordable at around $16.
It has a sleek style and it is water-proof as it was built with durability in mind.
It has a rear adjustable drawstring design that is made out of elastic, and the brim is completely foldable and crushable. This means you can bend the brim of this hat any way you want and it will be just fine.
Many cowboy hats can’t say the same thing (if they could talk).
Having a 50+ UPF rating and weighing only 0.2 pounds, you will look stylish and be safe wearing this best boonie hat.
Sizes Available: 7 to 7 5/8 (22 to 24″)
4. Propper Men’s Boonie Sun Hat
- Sewn to military specification MIL-H-44105B
- Vent holes direct air away from head
- Adjustable chin strap ensures a secure fit
- Battle Rip 65% polyester / 35% cotton ripstop
When you have a boonie hat that is sewn to military specification MIL-H-44105B, you know it means business. (Of course, we don’t know what it even says!)
Having a nice blend of 65% polyester and 35% cotton for its construction, this best boonie hat is designed to protect your face from the rays of the sun.
There are vent holes along the sides of the hat to direct air away from the head, and its branch loops allow you to add leaves or branches to your hunting cover.
Another good thing about this hat is you can machine wash it, so you don’t have to worry about damaging the hat during washing.
Sizes Available: 7 to 7 3/4 (21 7/8 to 24 3/8″)
5. Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero
- SUN PROTECTION: A wide shade with a floating foam-stiffened, varied width brim and UPF 50+...
- COMFORTABLE AND LIGHT: The lightweight material will keep you cooler and comfortable while...
- MULTIPLE USES: Whatever you are doing outside, we have you covered. This bucket sun hat is...
- WATER-RESISTANT MATERIAL: Weighing in at a mere 2.9 ounces, this lightweight sun hat is...
- OUTDOOR RESEARCH: We built a company from a feeling: the urge to get out. It's what drives...
Now here’s a different take on the best boonie hat, which seems to work well.
Made out of 100% nylon and having a 50+ UPF rating, this boonie hat is comfortable and light as it will keep your head cooler while you travel.
No matter what you do outside, this bucket sun hat will accommodate your needs. Beachcombing, hiking, camping, fishing, and kayaking are all covered by this hat.
Weighing only 2.9 ounces, this hat has a plain weave crown and brim. It is easily washable and durable.
The adjustable drawcord and removable chin cord will keep this best boonie hat on you for all of your wild adventures!
Sizes Available: 6 7/8 to 7 5/8 (21 5/8 to 24″)
Kid’s Sizes: 18 1/2 to 22 1/2″
(P.S.: It remains a mystery to me why they would call this a Seattle Sombrero, though…)
6. DealStock 100% Cotton Boonie Fishing Hat
If you ever felt like going on a safari adventure, this best boonie hat would serve as the classic example of a safari hat. This is also helpful for outdoor activities like fishing.
DealStock offers more than 15 different colors for this hat and it is made entirely out of cotton.
The hat is 4 inches tall and its brim is 4 inches wide, which is large enough to cover the ears and neck. The cotton material is absorbent and provides help in the cooling process.
However, the hat is not water repellent.
Sizes Available: 21.26 to 24.02″
7. Einskey Sun Protection Boonie Hat
- ADJUSTABLE & UNISEX: Rear elastic drawstring design, one size fits men's and women's head...
- SUN PROTECTION & WATER REPELLENT: Wide brim 3.9 inches keeps your face and neck safe from...
- COMFORABLE & BREATHABLE: The mesh panels design allows for moisture and heat to easily...
- PACKABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT: The bucket hat can be folded in half, easily carried inside your...
- NOTE: Due to different lighting effects between computer monitors, cell phone, the color...
Very affordable at about $15 is this sun hat, which is made for both men and women.
Polyester is the only material used to make this hat, which offers great protection against the sun and repels water when needed. Its wide brim of 3.7 to 3.9 inches will keep your face and neck safe from ultraviolet rays.
You can also fold this best boonie hat in half and pack it in a bag for traveling purposes, and it is great for regular daily use.
Outdoor activities like fishing, hunting, camping, cycling, baseball, golf, and tennis can all be done with this hat on.
So, why not choose this comfortable hat?
Sizes Available: 22 to 24″
8. Columbia Bora Bora Boonie Hat
- OMNI-SHADE: UV protection at its best, Omni-Shade materials block UVA and UVB rays to help...
- OMNI-WICK: The ultimate moisture wicking technology for the outdoors. Omni-Wick quickly...
- ALWAYS SUNNY: This sun hat features built-in UPF 50 shielding, an ultra-sweat-wicking...
- HANDY FEATURES: A high-performance hat that features a full 3” brim, equipped with an...
- BUILT TO LAST: Columbia’s attention to detail is what sets our apparel apart. Specifying...
- Omni-Shade UPF 50 sun protection
Primarily used as a fishing hat, you can use this best boonie hat anytime, especially during the long, hot summer days.
Made out of 100% nylon, this hat scores a UPF rating of 50+, so it guarantees to block out 98% of harmful UV rays.
The unique feature here is the mesh breeze-inducing vent that will keep you cool and protected for long periods of time out in the hot weather. The mesh gives the hat a distinctive look, so you can tell it apart from other boonie hats.
If you need to pack this hat in a suitcase for traveling, you can easily do so by folding it.
Piece of cake!
Sizes Available: 6 5/8 to 7 3/4 (21 to 24 1/2″)
9. Micoop Wide Brim Military Camouflage Hat
You get a stylish boonie hat for a price under $20, but you also get something that works.
This best boonie hat offers UV protection as it has a UPF rating of 50+, and it is lightweight enough to wear for just about any outdoor activity.
Its adjustable chinstrap holds the hat firmly in place, which is on your head, during the most brutal windy days. You can also fold this hat in any way you want to pack it for traveling purposes.
Made out of 100% cotton, this hat can only be hand-washed, but it has two cool features; a cowboy hat button, and a head circumference adjuster.
Sizes Available: 22.8 to 24.4″ (adjustable head circumference)
10. Coolibar UPF 50+ Men’s Outback Camo Boonie Hat
- UPF 50+ - blocks 98% of UVA/UVB rays
- FABRIC: Packable, cotton chin strap hat; Fully lined cotton crown; Internal sweatband and...
- FEATURES: 3 inch brim; Approx. circumference: 22 1/2 inches (Medium), 23 inches (Large),...
- RECOMMENDED FOR: when you want to pack light and travel in style - technical sun...
- NOT RECOMMENDED FOR: swimming, not chlorine and salt water resistant or water repellent
Made out of 100% cotton is this best boonie hat, which has an elastic closure and a 3-inch brim. It scores a fantastic UPF rating of 50+ as it blocks 98% of UV radiation.
It also has an internal sweatband and elastic drawcord with a toggle at the center back, making it freely adjustable. You will have to spot clean this hat to maintain its look, which means you get a clean cloth and wipe gently.
At first glance, this hat has one of the best looks for a camouflage boonie hat, and arguably one I can see myself wearing one day. This hat is worth its price tag of just under $50.
Sizes Available: 22 1/2 to 25″
11) Quicksilver Bushmaster Sun Protection Hat
- Classic styling: This sun protection bucket hat is constructed with cotton twill fabric...
- Logo detail: Quiksilver embroidered logo on front of bucket hat
- Sun protection: This hat features a wide brim to help provide coverage from the sun
- Quiksilver quality: Quiksilver provides high quality fashion for those seeking performance...
- Quiksilver store: Click on the blue Quiksilver logo above the product title to shop our...
Made out of 100% cotton, this best boonie hat is foam-stiffened which means that it is multi-functional.
Should this hat accidentally fall into a pool of water (as in, you drop it!), you will see this hat stay afloat. It isn’t completely waterproof, but you can wear it in bodies of water throughout the summer season.
It has a cinch band that enables easy adjustments so that you can get the right fit for your head.
Foldable and lightweight, you can take this hat with you anywhere, and as long as you hand wash it, this best boonie hat will remain serviceable for a long time.
Sizes Available: 7 1/8 to 7 3/8 (22 1/4 to 23″)
12. Tekma Sport Boonie Hat
- KEEPING YOUR HEAD COOL AND PROTECTED IS OUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY. If you are not satisfied...
- FULL TIME UV PROTECTION FOR YOUR NECK, FACE AND EARS. A hat with a full, wide brim around...
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMFORTABLE BREATHABILITY. Whether at the beach, fishing, or out hiking,...
- A VERSATILE HAT FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE. This hat folds up to fit in your pocket will retain...
Costing under $10 is this convenient boonie hat, which performs just as well as the more expensive brands.
You get complete protection from UV rays for your neck, face, and ears due to the hat’s wide brim, and the hat is lightweight and comfortable to wear.
You can fold this hat enough to fit your pocket, so it is convenient to carry.
The brass ring vents on the side of the hat promote breathability. This hat snaps on both sides which allows you to pin up the brim according to how you want it.
Plus, let’s not forget about those branch loops for extra camouflage coverage!
Sizes Available: One Size Fits Most (7 1/4 to 7 3/8)
13. Rothco Camo Boonie Hat/Military Bucket Cap
- The Camo Jungle Hat Is Made Of A Lightweight And Breathable 55% Cotton / 45% Polyester...
- Branch Loops Around The Military Jungle Hat Allow The Addition Of Leaves And Branches For...
- Army Jungle Hat Features An Adjustable Chin Strap For The Perfect Fit And Feel
- 4 Screened Side Vents Are Designed To Keep You Cool
- Available In A Variety Of Camouflage Patterns And Sizes
Made out of 55% cotton and 45% polyester, this boonie hat is lightweight and breathable and gives you protection from the sun.
This best boonie hat features branch loops that allow the addition of leaves and branches to be inserted into the holes. The branch loops will help you to stay camouflaged while you hunt, fish or camp.
There are 4 screened side vents that are specifically designed to keep you cool in the summer season.
The adjustable chin strap is also a necessary part of any best boonie hat, and you will find it on this hat too.
Sizes Available: 7, 7.25, 7.5, 7.75
14. E-Flag Boonie Hat
- UPF+50 / SUN PROTECTION
- 100% COTTON , ONE SIZE
- Perfect for Outdoor Activities and Sports. Fishing/Hunting/Beach/Hiking
- Completely crushable and packable, great for travel
- Ventilation Side Holes for Good Breathability
If you happen to be more of the sporty type and compete in athletic contests, you might want to go with this best boonie hat.
With a UPF rating of 50+ for optimum sun protection, this hat is completely made out of cotton, so it can also absorb water in the event of a rainstorm.
If you fish, hunt, hike, or play on the beach, this boonie hat will work with you.
It has side ventilation holes that promote breathability, and you can easily fold and crush this hat if you need to take it with you for traveling. It is also very flexible and stretchable.
Sizes Available: 7 to 7 3/8
Advice on the Best Boonie Hat
“DSC_0169” by CitizenClark is licensed under CC BY 2.0
A boonie hat is just like any hat you wear in the summer season.
It gets hot in the summer. Sometimes very hot.
You can put sun lotion on your face and that will help, but without a hat, your face and neck area will absorb the UV rays from the sun.
Boonie hats are adjustable so that you can wear its strap loose and behind your head so that the hat won’t be blown away by tailwinds. You can also wear the strap loose and in front of your head if you face heavy winds.
You can tie the strap over the top of the hat to make it look more like a cowboy hat.
The strap can be tucked underneath the boonie hat while you wear it, too.
If the strap gets in your way too much, simply tie it into a knot and position it behind your head. This can prevent the Boonie Hat from blowing off if you do this correctly.
If You Love the Outdoors, You’ll Love a Boonie Hat
While they may look unusual at first glance, boonie hats serve many purposes for the great outdoors that you will learn to appreciate.
Soldiers and snipers wear boonie hats as part of their camouflage covers, so they are proven to work on a grand scale.
If you love going out fishing, then you will love a hat like this. Outdoor activities in general encourage the use of boonie hats, and they look cool.
If you live in an area like the Australian Outback or a faraway desert, the boonie hat is a perfect choice to wear. If you live in a cold climate area you can still wear one – the sun still shines in cold areas and the camouflage properties come in handy wherever you are.
Do you wear a boonie hat? Why?
How much do you like your hat? Share your boonie hat stories with us in the comment section below!
Sunday 6th of June 2021
What hat is the tall guy in the Fishing pic wearing?
Monday 7th of June 2021
Hey John! It's an older model of the Camoland Boonie - they're still very similar in cut but the color is a bit different. They come in camo mesh black and khaki camo now + many other solid colors :D