There aren’t many things better than lying in a hammock – it’s almost therapeutic! Whether hiking, camping, or just hanging out (pun intended!) a hammock is iconic. It’s even better with the best sleeping pad for hammock comfort.
If you want to take your hammock comfort to another dimension (and who doesn’t?) a hammock pad is a must-have. When you use a hammock mattress, you are guaranteed more warmth and stability. But how do you choose the best sleeping pad for hammock comfort?
Best Sleeping Pad for Hammock Comfort ‘n Hanging Out
Our Top Choice – Klymit Hammock V Sleeping Pad
The Klymit Hammock V Sleeping Pad is by far our favorite in this best sleeping pad for hammock comfort review.
It is an insulated inflatable air sleep pad, whose lightweight build and rugged durability make it ideal for the outdoor life. It can withstand wear and tear, is easy to pack, and has several features to prevent the Beautiful Dreamer (a.k.a. you) from falling out. (Whew!)
Check out our best backyard hammock too, a hammock pad is kinda useless without a hammock 😀
- Non-slip coating holds the hammock sleeping pad in place
- Klymalite insulation keeps the cold air on the bottom away from the warm air next to your body
- 20D polyester material helps resist punctures, tears, and abrasions
- Weighs 35.8 ounces
- Inflates in 15- 20 breaths
- Side wings for stability and wind protection
- Inflates to 78 x 3 x 47 inches
- V chambers provide support at key pressure points
- Designed specifically for all hammocks (which is a great thing in a “best sleeping pad for hammock comfort” review!)
- Side wings
- Small pack size (5.5” x 8”)
- R 4.4 – four-season sleeping pad
- Valve does not necessarily stay in place so air may escape during inflation
- Not self-inflating
2. Ecotek Outdoors Insulated Hybern8
This R4.5 four-season ultralight inflatable best sleeping pad for hammock comfort has a unique FlexCell honeycomb design that contours to any sleeping position! That’s great news for those of us who twist and turn during sleep!
- EASY TO USE RAPID INFLATION & DEFLATION - Whether you’re...
- 4 SEASON COMFORT IN ANY SLEEPING POSITION - Every body is...
- HAMMOCK APPROVED VERSATILE DESIGN - Getting a good night's...
- LIGHTWEIGHT, COMPACT, AND ULTRA DURABLE - Weighing in at...
- U.S. BASED SMALL BUSINESS / LIFETIME WARRANTY / NATIONAL...
Setting up is super-easy with less than 10 breaths needed for inflation. If you’re still uncomfortable when you lie down, the valve is close enough to the headrest so you can adjust the firmness without getting up.
And, for the fashion-conscious among us, this best sleeping pad for hammock comfort comes in three colors: evergreen, fire orange, and ocean blue.
- 75 denier woven polyester
- Hammock-approved with slip-resistant bottom
- Weighs 24.5 ounces
- Pack size 10 x 4.5 inches
- Minimal noise on movement
- Suitable for back- and side-sleepers
- Various color options
- Not self-inflating
- Inflates to shorter and narrower size than our top choice (74” x 22” x 2.5”)
3. Gear Doctors Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad for Hammock
When you’re in a hurry to snuggle down, this R4.3 four-season hammock pad will self-inflate in only 5-10 minutes!
- 𝐌𝐀𝐗𝐈𝐌𝐔𝐌 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓:...
- 𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐓𝐔𝐏 𝐀𝐍𝐃...
It boasts a hypoallergenic outer coat so you’re less likely to itch, and is made of rugged 75D polyester. The leak-proof valve and longer air retention mean you won’t go flat when you need it for longer sleep durations. It’s waterproof and UV-resistant, so it will stand up to the elements that you live for!
- Leakproof design
- Heavy-duty outer shell
- Foam – for superior comfort
- Weighs 35.2 ounces (2.2 lbs)
- Four-season use
- Rugged 75D polyester
- Hypoallergenic outer coat
- Not specifically designed for hammocks so they might be too short and narrow (72” x 22” x 1.5”) and might shift
- No wings for hammock stability
4. Wellax Ultralight Air Sleeping Pad
Weighing in at only 14.5 ounces, this waterproof, inflatable best sleeping pad for hammock comfort will be easy to carry when you go camping or hiking. Its advanced inflation technology uses 1 valve for inflation and 1 for deflation, so it is quicker to set up and pull down.
- WELLAX COMFORT PLUS SLEEPING PAD provides the optimal...
- COMPACT and LIGHTWEIGHT: the ultralight WellaX Sleeping Mat...
- REVOLUTIONARY DESIGN: Laminated 20D Rip-stop Nylon and the...
- EASY TO INFLATE AND DEFLATE: Advanced inflation technology...
- NO RISK PURCHASE. Making you a happy customer is our main...
It inflates to a length of 78 inches, making it comparable to our top choice and a promise to keep your feet warm! And in case you get snagged by a tree branch, no worries! Made from ripstop nylon, small rips and tears won’t spread and ruin your entire sleeping pad.
- Embossed 20D Chillax fabric
- Dozens of flexing points for increased comfort
- Laboratory tested R 2.1 value
- Colors: Blue, green
- 14.5-ounce weight; 10 x 3.5 inches pack size
- Inflated size is 78 x 24 x 2.5 inches
- Laminated 20D Rip-stop Nylon and TPU Layer
- Virtually silent
- Inflates in 7-9 breaths
- R value 2.1 – Not a four-season mat
- Narrow 24 inches means sides might still be exposed to wind in a hammock
5. Sleepingo Camping Sleeping Pad
The Sleepingo Camping Sleeping pad is great for any sleep position. (Always a reason to celebrate!)
- 2" THICK SLEEP SUPPORT! YOU WILL LOVE THIS SLEEPING PAD!...
- WEIGHS ONLY [14.5 OZ] AND PACKS DOWN TO THE SIZE OF THIN...
- THIS TOUGH DURABLE LARGE COMFY SLEEPING PAD FEATURES A...
- TEAR RESISTANT - HEAVY DUTY RIPSTOP NYLON FABRIC – This...
- HASSLE-FREE LIFETIME REPLACEMENT - NO NEED TO RETURN! We...
Even the most severe outdoor conditions are no match for its 20D ripstop nylon fabric. It inflates with around 8 to 13 breaths, and maybe a few more if you like a firm mat.
The Sleepingo is a convenient sleeping pad for your backpack with a pack size of 9.5 x 2.5 inches – that’s the size of a thin water bottle! Most importantly, comfort is assured with its 2-inch thick support – and we hammies are serious about comfort!
- Ultralight 14.5 OZ
- 2″ thick sleep support
- Pack size of 9.5” x 2.5”
- 75 X 25 inches when inflated
- Tear-resistant, heavy-duty ripstop nylon fabric
- 20 denier thickness
- Easy to inflate
- Small pack size
- Narrow width means exposure to the wind in hammocks
- Not specifically designed for hammocks so may slip and shift
- Not self-inflating
- Single style option
- R-value 2.1 – not a winter option
6. Klymit Insulated Static V Sleeping Pad
With a patented V-shaped design, support and comfort are assured with the Klymit Insulated Static V best sleeping pad for hammock comfort. When you combine 2.5 inches of thickness with Klymalite insulation, you’re talking about undisturbed snooze all night long.
- 4 season backcountry camping pad: Lightweight insulated air...
- Sleep comfortably all night long: Features an innovative...
- Incredibly lightweight (25 ounces) and packs small to 5 x 8...
- Inflated size: 72 x 23 x 2. 5 inches; 10-15 breaths. Body...
- Includes: stuff sack and patch
This sleeping pad offers a colorful lineup when you want to jazz up your hammock to match! (Who knows if that might make your sleep sweeter?)
- Side rails to keep you centered
- Klymalite lofted insulation for long-lasting additional warmth
- V-chamber lofted comfort
- Inflates in 10-15 breaths
- Weighs 24 ounces
- 2.5 inch thickness
- Pack size of 5 x 8 inches
- Inflates to 72 x 23 inches
- R 4.4 – Four-season use
- Supports side-, stomach- and back-sleepers
- Many color options: real tree extra, black, coyote sand, kings camo, orange-2020
- Not self-inflating
- Shorter than our top choice by a half foot
- Does not offer a non-slip surface
- Narrow 23 inches means sides might still be exposed to wind in the hammock
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Sleeping Pad for Hammock Comfort
Now that we have all that information for finding the best sleeping pad for hammock comfort, here are my tips for how you can decide which sleeping pad is best for you.
R-Value of the Best Sleeping Pad for Hammock Comfort
If your hammock use is for pure and simple backyard relaxation, you can get away with using a pad with a lower R-value.
R values of 2.1, for example, will keep you cozy on a warm summer night. Staying in a backyard hammock also allows you the freedom to go with bigger, bulkier, and heavier hammock mattresses because, well, you’re not really taking them anywhere.
But if you’re a serious wilderness backpacker, you had better not risk anything below R 4. That’s when comfort and survival walk hand in hand.
If you occasionally go beyond a summer night backyard snooze into rugged hiking, you can combine two of the sleeping pads and get the cumulative R-value! Bear in mind that the weights will add up too!
Noise, Coating, Colors, and Self-Inflation
If little things matter to you besides being warm, then consider sleeping pads with less noise, hypoallergenic coating, and even unique colors.
Self-inflating pads are a breeze to set up, but the foam is harder to deflate than an air pad (there is no self-deflating technology). Air pads, though easy to deflate and offering great comfort, tend to be pricier.
Best Sleeping Pad for Hammock vs Underquilt
In case you have wondered about an underquilt: both sleeping pads and underquilts provide warmth. But if extreme cold weather is your passion, an underquilt provides more warmth.
Underquilts, however, often weigh more than hammock sleeping pads, don’t pack as small, are not so user-friendly, and can often be more expensive.
Which Is Your Best Sleeping Pad for Hammock Comfort?
So, have you found your perfect pad in our best sleeping pad for hammock review?
Whenever you choose any of these six hammock sleeping pads, know that your hammock just got pimped! You can also find out more ways to add functionality and style to your outdoor relaxation experience here.
Share in the comments below how you add comfort to your farm or homestead!
Last update on 2020-10-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API