Today is perfect for the budget-conscious among us, as we’ll look at the best flashlight under 50 bucks in 2021!
We’ll start with our best flashlight under 50 top 7 and then we’ll include a comparison table of their features for an easy overview, including prices. Enjoy, and don’t forget to comment with your feedback!
Outdoor Happens is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Click to learn more
I have previously discussed what the best pocket flashlight is, so if you use that article as a guide, you will know what I am about to discuss here.
We’ve also included a couple of honorable mentions for best flashlight under 50 – which aren’t quite under 50! If you decide you want just that little bit more, check these 2 flashlights out, made by Surefire and Klarus – two of the highest-quality brands for flashlights.
A flashlight is one of the most basic tools you need in survival situations, whether you are stranded on the road at night after your car breaks down or if you get lost in the woods and have to pitch a tent. A flashlight is also convenient for helping you see through your home basement more clearly and to fix any leaks your pipes may be suffering from.
It’s hard to find a flashlight that is actually reliable and long-lasting these days, at least if you go to a local store to look for one. It’s also hard to find a good quality best flashlight under 50 bucks, so we’ve done the work for you.
Our Best Flashlight Under 50 Top 7
- Overall Best flashlight under 50 – Streamlight PolyTac LED flashlight. Powered by 123A batteries, this flashlight will deliver 600 Lumens and 3 different programs for light settings.
- Best Budget flashlight under 50 – OxyLED Tactical flashlight. Cheapest flashlight, but also one of the most flexible. It is easily adjustable to zoom from wide to narrow beams.
- Best Compact flashlight under 50 – SureFire Sidekick Ultra-Compact Keychain Light. Extremely light and compact in size, this light has a great runtime of 45 hours on its Low setting.
- Best Tactical flashlight under 50 – Browning Pro Hunter 3310 Crossfire flashlight. Powered by a pair of AA batteries and has a maximum battery life of 16 hours, which should get you through the night.
- Coast PX1 LED Flashlight. Maximum runtime of 41 hours with 3 AAA batteries is hard to ignore. Second cheapest flashlight. Impact- and weather-resistant, virtually unbreakable.
- Klarus XTQ2 Flashlight. Made out of military-grade aluminum to provide great durability. Its beam throw of 340 meters is sufficient for nighttime viewing.
- Siuyiu LED Torch Tactical Flashlight. 2,000 Lumens as its maximum light output is great, but the 5 different light modes and the rechargeable 18650 Li-ion battery make this flashlight worth getting.
Honorable Mentions for Best Flashlight (Just Over $50)
- Klarus XT11GT rechargeable flashlight. Maximum light output of 2,000 Lumens is great, but its ability to switch between 3 different settings makes this an easy sell.
- Surefire G2X Tactical One Mode LED Flashlight. Durability is a key strength of this flashlight because of its Nitrolon® polymer body. It has the right choice of batteries in the 123A type.
Best Flashlight Under 50 Comparison Table
1. Best Overall – Streamlight PolyTac LED Flashlight
- C4 LED technology, impervious to shock with a 50,000 hour lifetime
- Borofloat glass lens, O ring sealed
- Tail cap push button provides one handed momentary or constant on
- 3 hours of continuous runtime to the 10 Percent output level
You will get considerable comfort with the amount of brightness this best flashlight under 50 provides. 600 Lumens on its highest level, 214-meter beam distance, and a 2.75 hour runtime on the high light setting make this a powerful option to consider.
(The runtime is either a positive or a negative thing, depending on how you value it.)
Its medium light setting provides 260 Lumens, which is better than the highest level of brightness in other flashlights.
The PolyTac flashlight is powered by a pair of 3V CR123A lithium batteries that are supposed to last for 10 years, so it is safe to say that you will have a long-lasting flashlight here.
You can also adjust between 3 different programs as to what kind of light settings you want. The default program has settings of high, strobe, and low. This best flashlight under 50 can also fall as much as 3 meters without taking damage.
Durability won’t be an issue with the PolyTac.
Here comes the picky part of this flashlight review…
Be careful about which brand of CR123A batteries you get because not all of them respond well to the Streamlight. Don’t get Duracell CR123A batteries. Panasonic CR123A is said to perform better.
2. Best Budget – OxyLED Tactical Flashlight – 800 Lumens
- ULTRA BRIGHT TACTICAL FLASHLIGHT: OxyLED super bright LED flashlights have 900-lumen CREE...
- FIVE LIGHT MODES & FULLY ZOOMABLE: This tactical flashlight features 5 adaptable light...
- TINY BODY, BUT STRONG AND TOUGH: OxyLED MD50 handheld flashlight only measures 5.31''...
- LONG-LASTING & WATER RESISTANT: The premium rechargeable 18650 Li-ion battery that this...
- WHAT YOU WILL GET: 1 x heavy-duty flashlight, 1 x 18650 Li-ion rechargeable battery, 1 x...
The cheapest option on this list of best flashlight under 50 that will save you considerable dough, the performance rate of this little flashlight is high.
Its miniature size of 5.31 x 1.57 x 1.57 inches packs a maximum light output of 800 Lumens, which gives you more than enough brightness to take on the forest woods at night.
It has 5 different light modes, including strobe and emergency SOS features. You can also freely zoom from wide to narrow beams with this flashlight.
This best flashlight under 50 uses Cree LED technology with a lifespan of a whopping 50,000 hours.
What’s also nice?
This flashlight takes either one rechargeable Li-ion battery or 3 standard AAA batteries. Hooray for options!
Having said good things about the batteries, though, one user review noted the rechargeable battery doesn’t last as long as the manufacturer claims. According to the review, after just 1.5 hours of use, the brightness of the light decreased to becoming unsuitable to use.
3. Best Compact – SureFire Sidekick Ultra-Compact Keychain Light
Appearances can be deceiving, especially if you are looking for a standard flashlight.
This is a keychain light to be sure, but it performs strongly like a standard flashlight. It is only 2.5 inches in length and is extremely light, weighing only 2 ounces.
This best flashlight under 50 has a maximum light output of 300 Lumens.
The medium and low levels of this flashlight perform the best. Delivering 60 Lumens on Medium, this flashlight has a runtime of 4 hours, and the Low level of 5 Lumens has a runtime of 45 hours.
- High-performance LED and special faceted reflector produce broad, smooth, 300-lumen...
- Easy click-type switch permits access to all 3 output levels with repeated presses
- Micro-USB charging port permits simple recharging of integral li-ion battery
- Compact, lightweight polymer body is weather resistant; features split ring for easy...
- Always accessible light provides countless utility uses, including emergency preparedness
Recharging this flashlight is a piece of cake.
A USB charging cord is included with this best flashlight under 50, and you only need to keep the flashlight plugged in for 3 hours to achieve 90% battery capacity. The SureFire Sidekick can be charged either on a wall or in a vehicle, so you won’t be stuck to just one charging source.
I love this flashlight because it looks different and it dares to be creative.
However, it has obvious limitations…
The Sidekick’s maximum beam distance is only 66 meters, and it has only 3 different light modes. It is backed by a 1-year warranty, so if you aren’t happy with it you can return it without any hassle.
Definitely one of the best in our best flashlight under 50 review!
Browning Crossfire Flashlight- Black from Field Supply
If you prefer a best flashlight under 50 that is more no-nonsense instead of “flashy” (pardon the pun), then Browning has something for you.
This flashlight has good impact resistance of up to 1 meter, so you could drop this and it would be just fine. It only takes 2 standard AA batteries, which are included with your purchase.
The maximum amount of brightness for this flashlight is 300 Lumens, and its maximum beam distance of 140 meters is solid.
Its maximum battery life of 16 hours is enough to keep you going in emergency overnight situations.
Its lock-out tail cap prevents accidental activation of the light, which you will find helpful.
The only downer that I can see in this best flashlight under 50 is that it is really ordinary, and it could have used some kind of flashy (there I go with that pun again) feature to make it easier to buy.
5. Coast PX1 LED Flashlight – 315 Lumens
- Impact resistant, weather resistant and the LED is virtually unbreakable
- Pure Beam Focusing Optic with Twist Focus
- Beam distance: High - 351 meters (1151 ft.); Low - 77 meters (252 ft.)
- Light output: High - 1075 lumens; Low - 53 lumens
- Runtime: High - 2 hours 15 minutes; Low - 41 hours
What if I were to tell you that there was a best flashlight under 50 that had a maximum runtime of 41 hours by using just 3 AAA batteries?
I would be pointing at this flashlight!
It has a maximum light output of 315 Lumens, which is a respectable amount.
You will get a maximum beam distance of 131 meters (429 feet) with this flashlight, which allows you to see a lot of things ahead of you.
It has an ultra-durable aluminum body, so it definitely resists impact and challenging weather conditions.
What I really appreciate about this flashlight is that it is fairly cheap in price, and one of the cheapest on this list.
The beam distance of 131 meters may not be enough to satisfy the various nighttime outdoor activities that you want to do. Many other flashlights have beam distances that blow past 131 meters.
Also, be careful of the two power modes this best flashlight under 50 cycles through each time you press the power button. If you use the high setting and then turn it off, it will automatically switch to the low setting once you turn it on again.
6. Klarus XTQ2 870 Lumens Flashlight
Made out of 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum, this durable flashlight contains a large number of features that are sure to make you do a double-take!
There are 5 different light modes to choose from, and this best flashlight under 50 has a maximum light output of 870 Lumens. That is more than enough Lumens for basic outdoor activities at night.
The method of switching between different light modes is using a rear primary switch, which is easy and convenient. This flat metal switch is basically a large contact area that is hard to miss when using the flashlight.
- Indented switch design to prevent accidental illumination
- Latest optical reflector system gives a beam throw of up to 340 metres and provides a...
- Utilizes a CREE XM-L2-U2 LED, delivering a maximum output of 870 ANSI lumens
- Intelligent control circuits for clear strong light, extended runtime and rapid heat...
This best flashlight under 50 has respectable power as it can deliver a beam throw of up to 340 meters, which is suitable for your needs if you are an outdoor enthusiast.
The working voltage of the Klarus XTQ2 is a range of anywhere from 3 to 8.4-Volts, which is very good for a basic everyday flashlight. It also takes on a combination of batteries, which would be two CR123A batteries and one 260 mAh 18650 battery.
There are two knocks against the Klarus XTQ2.
First, it doesn’t have an emergency SOS mode. (That is often an overlooked feature.) Second, it doesn’t have infinite light output adjustment capabilities unlike other flashlights on this list.
- SUPER-BRIGHT: 2000-lumen (Max) XML-L2 LED provides bright light over a beam distance of...
- WATERPROOF AND RELIABLE:IPX-6 waterproof, Designed for almost any conditions, from heavy...
- 5 LIGHT MODES - High brightness / Medium brightness / Low brightness / Strobe (intermitent...
- LONG LASTING- This powerful torch uses the 18650 Rechargeable battery (Included) provides...
- WHAT YOU GET: Rechargeable torch mini flashlight, 3.7V 18650 Li-ion Protected Rechargeable...
If you put a lot of emphasis on brightness, then this is a great choice.
The maximum brightness level of Siuyiu’s small best flashlight under 50 is 2,000 Lumens, and it has an impressive beam distance of over 200 meters!
That means you can at least see objects from a football field away (American or Association Football, take your pick).
This flashlight is IPX-6 level waterproof, which means it can endure the harshest rain conditions.
It is made out of aircraft-grade aluminum alloy, so it is also shockproof in case you drop it.
Having 5 different light modes is a big plus (which are high, medium, and low brightness, strobe, and emergency SOS signal).
Lastly, included with this best flashlight under 50 is an easily rechargeable 18650 Li-ion battery, which provides a great runtime.
According to one review, the weight distribution of this flashlight is uneven. This means that the majority of the flashlight’s weight is loaded more on one end than the other.
If you are the kind of person who is okay with using the back of a light with your teeth (that’s not a typo) while freeing up your hands for a moment, then this flashlight sadly won’t be so accommodating.
Honorable Mentions for Best Flashlight Not-Quite-Under-$50
Klarus XT11GT 2000 Lumen Micro USB Rechargeable Flashlight from Going Gear
The number of features that are crammed into this small flashlight can make you do a double-take!
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE：Equipped with a CREE XHP35 HD E4 LED, super bright, maximum...
- 3 PROGRAMMABLE SETTINGS: Tactical Setting (conventional everyday use), Outdoor Setting...
- DIRECT USB RECHARGING: Allowing the user to plug a standard Micro USB cable directly. A...
- AI CONTROL: Smart temperature control system(ITS) monitors internal temperature and...
- ROBUST STRUCTURE: Aluminum 6061-T6 with a Mil-Spec HAIII anti-abrasive and anodized...
It has 5 different light modes to choose from, and its maximum light output of 2,000 Lumens for its Turbo Mode is certainly noteworthy. Its maximum beam distance of 316 meters is suitable for your needs if you are an outdoor enthusiast.
Klarus XT11GT 2000 Lumen Micro USB Rechargeable Flashlight from Going Gear
What I find cool about this flashlight is its patented Triple-Switch control design which allows you to toggle between 3 different settings.
When it’s off, you hold the side switch for 10 seconds, and after the light goes to low mode and flickers you click to switch settings.
Tactical, outdoor, and advanced tactical are the settings.
Also helpful is its compatibility with two different battery types. The Klarus flashlight can either be powered by CR123A batteries or Protected 18650 Li-ion batteries.
The Klarus XT11GT rechargeable flashlight is an example of a somewhat misleading Lumens measurement.
When you only use the Klarus 18GT-IMR31 3100mAh battery, its maximum light output can be 2,000 Lumens.
However, when using CR123A or Li-ion batteries the maximum light output can only be 1,300 Lumens. I will discuss a little more about Lumens later.
Surefire G2X Tactical One Mode LED Flashlight from Going Gear
For a standard flashlight, you need something that works.
The Surefire G2X flashlight is a good representation of a tactical flashlight that can be used for everyday situations. It has a tough Nitrolon® polymer body that contains an anodized aluminum bezel.
- The G2X Tactical provides a single output level — a brilliant, penetrating 600-lumen...
- Virtually indestructible LED emitter regulated to maximize output and runtime
- Precision reflector creates smooth, optimized beam with plenty of reach and surround light
- Tough, lightweight Nitrolon polymer body for corrosion resistance and durability
- Comes with 4 Extra Surefire CR123A Batteries and Lightjunction Battery Box
You will get a secure grip of a flashlight that is resistant to scratches, abrasion, and corrosion.
This flashlight is powered by two 123A batteries that are high-energy and have a lifespan of 10 years.
Its tactical tail-cap switch comes in handy as you press it for a momentary turning on, and then a twist for a constant on.
It also has a respectable maximum brightness level of 320 Lumens.
However, it only features one mode and it has no strobe mode of any kind, so if you love strobe features this isn’t your flashlight.
While I like the various colors that are offered when purchasing this flashlight, the one glaring negative about Surefire’s entry is its price.
I believe it is a serviceable flashlight, but is it worth spending around $60 on?
There are more powerful flashlights out on the market that are cheaper in price.
Best Flashlight Under 50 Buyer’s Guide
Getting the best flashlight under 50 for your nightly activities shouldn’t require spending too much money.
You don’t need a flashlight that has thousands of unique features, but you do need a flashlight that will help you get out of sticky situations. You just need something that works.
This guide will point you in the right direction.
What Do You Want to Use Your Flashlight For?
For starters, choose a flashlight according to how you will use it. Assign a role to your flashlight for specific situations.
For example, if the power goes out in your home and you don’t have candles to light up, you can pull out your powerful flashlight.
If you enjoy outdoor camping at night, you will be using a flashlight very frequently, more so than you would at home.
If you go hiking on a trail at night, that is the perfect time to use a powerful best flashlight under 50 like any of the ones listed above.
Does the Number of Lumens Mean Everything in a Flashlight?
The LED Guide from Going Gear
Simply put, Lumens don’t mean everything.
Each flashlight offers a Lumens rating that can sometimes be deceptive. The total capacity of a light is often rated, which is a rating the flashlight may not be capable of reaching.
Sometimes the result of higher Lumens means a higher price for you to pay, which is not what you should be looking for.
Plus, here is a little secret about Lumens…
Higher Lumens will reduce the lifespan of the batteries that are used in the flashlight. How’s that for a stunner?
Can You Prevent Significant Reduction in Battery Life?
Browning Stoke Rechargeable Flashlight- Black from Field Supply
It is always a good rule of thumb to charge your new best flashlight under 50 battery overnight before you use it for the first time. This practice allows you to get the optimum capacity from the battery.
Unless it is about to be completely discharged, it is recommended not to recharge a battery.
What Type of Batteries Work Best for a Flashlight?
I am always partial to the standard AAA batteries when thinking of powering a flashlight.
However, the truth is that these are usually expensive since they will often need to be replaced. It is simply more convenient to get a best flashlight under 50 that takes rechargeable batteries.
Many flashlights today have charging elements already built-in, so you likely won’t have to get a separate charger just for your rechargeable battery.
Proprietary batteries are the kind that typically can’t be removed. They are built into some rechargeable flashlights because they were specifically made for them.
If a Flashlight Lacks Certain Features, Should I Still Get It?
Flashlight Glossary from Going Gear
If you pay firm attention to details like whether or not a flashlight has a strobe mode, then that will impact your decision on which best flashlight under 50 to buy.
If you don’t care about features like strobe modes and emergency SOS capabilities, then many flashlights will come into play for you.
As another example, the type of switch a flashlight uses to turn on and off may catch your attention.
Do you want a traditional flashlight switch? Or do you like either pressing buttons or twisting the flashlight?
Should I Consider the Durability of a Flashlight?
The answer is absolutely, yes!
Especially if you intend to use a flashlight outdoors at night, you should have a flashlight that is designed to take bumps and bruises should you accidentally drop it.
If you leave it in heavy snow or rain, your best flashlight under 50 should be able to still work once you retrieve it.
While I recommend finding ways to save money when purchasing things like flashlights, if you have to spend a few dollars more than you normally would to get something that will last for years, you make that move.
What’s Your Best Flashlight Under 50?
When looking for the right best flashlight under 50 you should always think about substance over style, and performance over visual appeal.
While it helps to have a flashlight that is strong in the number of Lumens, that feature alone shouldn’t make or break its overall worth.
You should first factor in both durability and longevity in a flashlight before reviewing its power.
The ideal best flashlight under 50 for you is one that won’t fizzle out after using it a few times.
Though this was a hard call for me to make, I end up leaning towards the Streamlight PolyTac flashlight as the winner of this best flashlight under 50 review for its overall variety in light modes and battery compatibility.
I’d be more likely to spend another $30 or so to get the Klarus XT11GT. Klarus is an awesome, high-quality brand and this flashlight is packed with so many features, you’ll never need another flashlight.
What is your favorite flashlight to use? Do you use different brands of flashlights at various times? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!
Last update on 2021-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API