Looking for a good tool that can cut metal? Looking for something that can clean up rusted material that you want to preserve? The best angle grinder is one of the most versatile handheld tools you can have in the garage.
Of course, you don’t want to be spending a king’s ransom to get an angle grinder, so we have compiled a list of the best angle grinders under 200 bucks to fit the confines of your garage.
Outdoor Happens is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Click to learn more
I’ll start with a visual overview in the best angle grinder comparison table below, then I’ll list the top 7 and their main features + go into each angle grinder’s details.
Best Angle Grinder Comparison
Our Best Angle Grinder Top 7
- Best Angle Grinder Overall: Milwaukee 2780-20 M18 Fuel
- Best Lightweight Angle Grinder: DEWALT DCG413B 20V Brushless Angle Grinder
- Best Angle Grinder for Budget: Makita XAG04Z 18V Angle Grinder
- Milwaukee 2680-20 M18 18V 4 1/2″ Cordless Angle Grinder
- KIMO 20V Brushless Cordless Angle Grinder
- Bosch GWS-45 18V 4-1/2″ Angle Grinder
- Skil 20V 4-1/2″ Angle Grinder
Best Angle Grinder Product Reviews
1. Best Angle Grinder Overall: Milwaukee 2780-20 M18 Fuel
This best cordless angle grinder puts emphasis on power and longevity!
We have this angle grinder and it gets used in a mining environment on giant drills, diggers, and other huge earthmoving equipment. It never misses a beat. It’s not pretty and red anymore but this thing just hooks in and gets the job done!
Definitely our best angle grinder of all!
It has a brushless motor that delivers maximum power and can have a 10 times longer motor life than a conventional corded grinder.
You will be glad to know that this best angle grinder isn’t huge nor bulky as it only weighs 5.8 pounds, and it has size dimensions of 2.3 x 12.9 x 7.6 inches.
This tool features Redlink Plus, which is an advanced system of cordless power tool electronics.
It has a standard clutch and has overload protection so that communication between tool, battery, and charger all receive the same message.
What is also nice about this best angle grinder is that you can make all accessory changes and guard adjustments on this grinder without using tools like a wrench for assistance.
- POWERSTATE Brushless Motor: Delivers maximum power and up to 10X longer motor life
- REDLINK PLUS Intelligence provides optimized performance, electronic clutch, and overload...
- REDLITHIUM XC5.0 Battery Pack (not included) provides superior pack construction,...
- POWER TO GRIND: World’s first cordless grinder with corded performance.
- DURABILITY: Same metal housing & gearing system as legendary high performance corded...
- 100% tool free: Make all accessory changes and guard adjustments without a wrench for...
2. Best Lightweight Angle Grinder: DEWALT DCG413B 20V MAX Brushless Cut Off Tool/Grinder
Dewalt’s best angle grinder provides a seamless performance that many other grinders can’t offer. Its brushless motor can deliver up to 57% more runtime than a brushed motor, and there is no load speed to speak of with this grinder.
Delivering an impressive maximum of 9,000 RPMs when in use, this grinder can complete tasks quickly.
Very lightweight at 3.75 pounds, the 4 ½-inch wheel diameter of the grinder covers a good amount of space for a grinding project.
This grinder features a paddle switch where the brake will activate once this switch is released. This will quickly stop the grinding wheel, which is a big plus.
This best angle grinder also has a long 2-position side handle, giving you additional comfort and convenience.
- Brushless motor of the angle grinder requires no brush changes.
- DEWALT grinder's brake stops wheel in 2 seconds or less on average
- Kickback Brake engages when a pinch, stall, or bind-up event is sensed and the electronic...
- Features E-Switch Protection - When the ON/OFF trigger switch has a no-volt release...
- Two stage trigger requires two actions to activate tool.
3. Best Angle Grinder for Budget: Makita XAG04Z 18V LXT Cut-Off/Angle Grinder
What you will discover from Makita’s best angle grinder right away is that the battery is charged by an LXT Rapid Optimum Charger, which provides up to 3 times faster charging than the standard best angle grinder battery charger.
Running on a Lithium-Ion battery it has as much as 50% more run time compared to the standard Makita 18 volt battery.
The brushless motor this guy has can have up to a 50% longer lifespan than the regular Makita cordless motors.
The Automatic Speed Change technology that Makita’s grinder possesses can automatically adjust the speed and torque while in operation.
It has a lock-on side switch, a rubber soft grip for comfort, and a 3-stage LED light gauge that tells you how much charge the battery has.
This best angle grinder’s brushless motor that delivers 8,500 RPM is sure to suit your needs if you want something done quick.
- Automatic speed change technology adjusts speed and torque during operation for optimum...
- Active feedback sensing technology (AFT) turns the motor off if rotation of the wheel is...
- The BL brushless motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the BL motor to run cooler and...
- Efficient BL brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use...
- The electronically controlled BL brushless motor efficiently uses energy to match torque...
- Spindle Thread: 5/8 inch 11 UNC
By far the lightest best angle grinder on this list, this 3.8-pound wonder of a grinder delivers immense power and speed. Delivering a maximum of 10,000 RPM, this angle grinder gives you the control you need to perform even the most complicated DIY project.
It has a rubber-textured handle and a 3-position plastic handle that allows you to hold the grinder in almost any way you would like.
Adjusting the wheel guard of this best angle grinder gives this tool an edge. With an adjusted wheel guard, various objects that require different cutting angles can be accommodated.
Let’s not forget about the paddle switch, which makes activating Milwaukee’s best angle grinder easy. Even if you wear thick work gloves, the paddle switch will detect you pressing it.
I like it when power tools act smart, don’t you?
- PADDLE SWITCH: You can activate this grinder easily, even when you’re wearing thick work...
- DEBRIS BAFFLES: An “L” shape molding near the grinding wheel picks up debris and...
- TOOL-FREE GUARD: The guard is easily adjustable. All it takes is the push of a button, and...
- 3-POSITION SIDE HANDLE: Work with maximum stability with the help of the plastic handle,...
- M18 COMPATIBLE: This Milwaukee power tool works with M18 18v lithium ion Milwaukee...
- 4-pole motor delivers maximum power when cutting or grinding
When you have a power tool that can function in more than one way, you have a keeper in that tool. KIMO has a nice presentation in this best angle grinder as you will be getting 5 cutting wheels and 5 grinding wheels each.
This best angle grinder is designed to cut and grind materials such as steel, wood, stone, and tile. Its maximum power of 9,000 RPM makes for a speedy grinding session.
I consider the optimized cooling system to be a clever feature of this grinder. Allowing fresh outside air to cool down the device, the brushless motor is encouraged to generate less friction and heating while in use. This means you get better performance and a longer runtime out of this best angle grinder.
KIMO’s rapid charger for this grinder’s Lithium-Ion battery is amazing as it will charge an empty battery as quickly as 60 minutes!
- 🚧【Cordless and Connected-Ready Power】What can you do if you are not close to a wall...
- 🚧【Efficient Brushless Motor】KIMO angle grinder has a lot of standout features, but...
- 🚧【Proudly Present KIMO Li-ion Technology】For over 25 years, KIMO has made great...
- 🚧【Maximum 9000 RPM & Ergonomic Design】9000 RPM motor provides higher power for...
- 🚧【26 Pcs Accessories】It is hard to determine market gimmick from the actual...
Easily portable at a weight of 4 pounds, Bosch’s best angle grinder has an outstanding four-brush motor design that allows users to properly perform their duties while also giving them maneuverability.
This grinder delivers a maximum of 10,000 RPM while in use, allowing you to perform an activity quickly when you need to. This device features a 2-position Vibration Control side handle, which reduces user fatigue and makes for a smoother grinding experience.
When you buy this best angle grinder, you will only get one wheel guard, one grinding disc, and one side handle. Depending on how often you plan on using this grinder, this may or may not be a problem.
The bright side is that it has a 3-year tool protection plan and a 2-year free battery replacement plan.
The wheel guard can be like a jigsaw puzzle piece. It is installed backward and once it is pushed all the way on, it will rotate to any angle you desire.
- LONGEVITY: The Bosch GWS18V-45 18V Angle Grinder delivers all-day grinding and cutting...
- POWER: The grinder includes a powerful four-brush motor design with 0-10,000 no-load rpm...
- CONTROL: The tool features a two-position Vibration Control side handle, for comfortable...
- SECURE: For user protection, this cordless grinder was engineered with a tool-less...
- PRECISION: The Bosch GWS18V-45 18V Angle Grinder provides outstanding cutting ability and...
You will get a powerful multi-faceted tool with this best angle grinder. Cutting tile, grinding metal, sanding, polishing, and sharpening are all tasks that can be done with this grinder.
Its PWRCore 20 Lithium battery is a specially patented battery that has advanced technology which features each cell being wrapped with cooling material.
Because of this, the grinder can operate for up to 25% longer run times, and its battery lifespan will be doubled.
This grinder also has a 3-position side handle, giving you flexibility in how to use the tool. Its dual function lock-on switch comes in handy as well, as it prevents any accidental start-ups from happening, and will lock on for extensive use.
Skil created a best angle grinder that goes fast, delivering a maximum of 8,500 RPM in motor speed which helps you complete tasks.
- CUT, SAND, POLISH AND SHARPEN—Use this cordless grinder for a variety of DIY tasks...
- LONGER RUN TIME & BATTERY LIFE—The PWRCore 20 Lithium Battery has an innovative...
- 3-POSITION SIDE HANDLE—Choose the positioning that works best for you and the task at...
- DUAL FUNCTION LOCK-ON SWITCH—Prevents accidental start up and locks on for convenient...
- ENHANCED CONTROL—An easier and safer start.
Best Angle Grinder Buyer’s Guide
An angle grinder is normally not one of the first power tools you turn to when you need to perform a task for DIY purposes, so this buyer’s guide is a refresher course on what to expect from the best angle grinder.
For starters, we will not be answering any silly questions like “Is an angle grinder just like a chainsaw?” because the answer to that question is obvious.
What Is An Angle Grinder?
Also referred to as a cut off tool or a side or disc grinder, an angle grinder is a power tool you can use for many jobs. Grinding, cutting, and polishing different kinds of metallic and concrete materials make up the primary functions of an angle grinder.
Sometimes included on angle grinders are adjustable guards and side-handles for easier operation. With the help of a special sanding disc, some best angle grinders can also be used as sanders.
Putting it in plain terms, an angle grinder is an essential tool to have depending on the DIY projects you wish to take on. If you have sheets of metal laying around in your garage and you want to make backyard ornaments out of them, then that is the time to give the best angle grinder a call.
Are Angle Grinder Discs Interchangeable?
Here is a word of caution to remember; if a manufacturer doesn’t specifically note a certain type of blade that can be used for its grinder, chances are likely that the grinder doesn’t support that blade.
Now, you could play around with a grinder and make adjustments to bolt a blade into place, but I would not recommend doing that because of safety reasons.
Can I Use a 4-inch Blade on a 4.5-Inch Angle Grinder?
The tooling of both 4-inch and 4.5-inch angle grinder blades is not interchangeable, at least not in the sense that it will be useful for you.
Most 4.5-inch blades won’t fit on a 4-inch angle grinder, and even if some do, it will likely run too fast and stop working after a period of time. You will have a better time fitting 4-inch blades on 4.5-inch grinders as those often work, but those blades are too small to function the way you want them to.
How Do I Change the Blade on My Grinder?
Changing the blade on your best angle grinder only takes a few steps.
- The first step is to remove the battery from your cordless grinder. Never skip this first step because otherwise, you will always run the risk of accidentally turning the grinder on while removing the blade.
- The second step is to take a screwdriver and remove the blade guard. By doing this first you will have an easier time removing the blade itself. Not all angle grinders are the same in design, so take note of how all parts of your grinder are held together.
- Press and hold in the blade lock button of the grinder for the next step. While this button is being held, turn the grinder upside down so that the grinding wheel faces up.
- Use your free hand to turn the wheel. If the wheel won’t turn, then it is locked.
- If the wheel turns then press and hold in the blade lock button again.
- Steps four through six involve you using a wrench to turn the arbor nut counterclockwise, using a vise grip to loosen the arbor nut, and then finally lifting off the old grinding blade after the arbor nut is removed. To break this down in one sense, it is like fixing a broken wheel on a bicycle.
What Are the Different Types of Blades for Angle Grinders?
A single type of blade cannot perform every single kind of job that you want it to when using an angle grinder.
In some senses, you have to treat an angle grinder like a Swiss Army Knife (hey, you could read up on the best Swiss Army knives while you’re here!). When a certain task calls for a certain type of blade, you switch to that blade.
First, we have the grinding blade. This is the most common angle grinder blade used at home but it is used minimally in construction jobs.
The grinding blade is one of the thickest blades, conforming to the thickness of materials like metal. The grinding blade is often used for metal fabrication and welding to smooth out the rough edges that come out of a welding session.
The flap blade is very similar to that of the grinding blade, with the only addition to this blade being the sandpaper on the bottom of the flange. If you are in that mode of sanding materials, this sandpaper attachment is ideal.
In case you lose a grinding blade, the flap blade can work just as well during any grinding procedure.
- Size: Diameter is 4-1/2 Inch, Arbor is 7/8 Inch.
- Specification: Type #27, maximum speed 13300 revolutions per minute (RPM).
- Package contains: 40/60/80/120 grit sanding discs.
- Fiberglass backing: Fiberglass backing plate absorbs vibrations and reduces smear during...
- Application: These sanding discs are effective for smoothing, blending, finishing surfaces...
Compared to the grinding blade and the flap blade, the cutting blade is very thin. You use a cutting blade when you cut through thick materials like metal because of the power and pressure that angle grinders normally provide.
Because of the thin layer, the cutting blade relieves the user from using much force. You can also use the cutting blade for grinding, and it can smooth over rough edges of a material if you need it to.
Diamond blades have rigged grooves on the outside edges. The diamond blade is designed to be used on ultra-thick surfaces like stone, concrete, and marble tile for masonry work. The grooves are designed to catch the resistance of the angle grinder against thick materials that may be reluctant to cooperate.
- Universal for dry or wet cutting
- X teeth offer fast and smooth cutting
- Super thin porcelain saw blade with free chips for cutting,Match with hand-held machine
- Available for cutting porcelain,ceramic tile,granite, sandstone quartz ect. Warm Prompt:...
- Size:115 x 10 x 1.2 x 22.23 mm,Thickness:1.2mm,Outer Diameter:115mm /4.5 inch.Suitable for...
Last but not least is the wire wheel, which is made out of either stainless or carbon steel. It is used to clean off material before you start a welding session. Metal surfaces will be smoothed out by the small wires that make up this blade.
- High tensile, heat treated carbon or stainless steel wire provides long lasting aggressive...
- Internal holding plate construction provides reduced knot movement and increased control...
- Constructed with internal holding plate to ensure consistency and safety
- Constructed with internal holding plate to ensure consistency and safety
- Wire is 100 percent inspected to meet demanding quality specifications
Can a Wood Blade Be Put On an Angle Grinder?
Many angle grinders are simply not designed to handle tasks related to cutting wood.
Unless you buy an angle grinder like the one KIMO provides, you can’t just force a grinder to act as a wood cutting tool. Angle grinder blades are mainly meant to cut and grind thick materials due to the intensity of the pressure.
Though, saying that, you might get lucky enough to find cutting discs to cut wood that fit your grinder! Check these out:
- ALL-IN-ONE CARVING TOOL - Speedcutter is suitable for polishing, grinding and cutting...
- NO OVERHEATING - Due to special construction carving blade creates reasonable radial...
- PROVEN MATERIAL - Our disc is made of qualitative instrumental steel and hardmetal...
- SAFE WORK - GRAFF wood carving disc has a unique form where disc's body has feed stop that...
- CERTIFICATED - Our wood carving disk was certified by MPA Hannover.
There are other power tools out there that can safely and efficiently cut wood. With the exception of the KIMO grinder, most angle grinders are too powerful to properly cut wood.
How Often Should I Clean My Angle Grinder?
It is important to take good care of your power tools! Any tools that are allowed to get dirty and gather rust are tools that become unreliable after a long period of time.
The same thing applies to the best angle grinder.
How often you should clean your angle grinder depends on how often you plan on using it. How many DIY projects do you have lined up for a week that require the use of an angle grinder?
In general, you should clean your angle grinder right after you use it. At the very minimum, you should clean it twice a week especially if you will use it frequently throughout the week.
- Editor’s note: This is sound advice… But we never clean our tools and if you get a quality tool like the Milwaukee grinder, I don’t reckon you need to. Ours is covered in grease and all sorts of gunk and it’s going strong, even after all these years 😀
Are Angle Grinders Safe?
Angle grinders are generally safe power tools, but they can become dangerous if you are not careful with them.
They generate sparks, and whenever you begin work with one make sure your work area is clear of any debris and flammable materials. Areas that have grain dust or combustible dust accumulation should be avoided.
If you intend to offer a professional service that involves an angle grinder, there are safety precautions you will need to take. You have to use the correct wheel for the size and speed of the grinder.
Before using an angle grinder, it must be checked for cracks, defects, and wear. Any discs that are worn must be replaced.
Let the grinder reach full speed and warm up before you use it and let it make a full stop after you are done using it. Common sense moves such as these are mentioned in OSHA’s document on angle grinder safety.
Do Volts and Amps Matter in Angle Grinders?
No, they really don’t matter.
Now here is the long answer. The amount of volts a tool has is only mentioned on battery-powered tools.
More amps will either mean more power (in other words, power you get out of the wall equals volts multiplied by amps), or a less efficient motor (power out of the wall that just generates heat isn’t useful).
Since we’re discussing cordless grinders only, volts and amps are really irrelevant.
A grinder with more volts and amps does not make it a better grinder than others.
You should aim to buy a grinder that draws at least 5 to 9 amps so that it can handle all the various types of wheels and accessories. However, you should consider how fast an angle grinder operates and how safe it is before focusing on its power.
So, What’s the Best Angle Grinder Then?
Breaking everything down, if you had to choose right away which best angle grinder to buy, I would recommend you get the Milwaukee 2780-20 M18 Fuel grinder first.
It isn’t the cheapest grinder on this list, but it is the safest, most durable, and most flexible grinder of them all.
Overall, you can’t go wrong with any of these listed grinders as they are all well under $200 in price, which will make your wallet happy!
Last update on 2021-08-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API